Advice on fencing type and installation

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #1  

Atchuuu

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HSTC
Looking to fence the area shown below. The main purpose of the fence is to keep vehicles/people off the property and for aesthetics. It is not to keep animals in.

Leaning toward a 3 rail wood fence using 4x4 posts and PT wood. I have a handheld auger, am willing to purchase a 3pt PHD if necessary and may even hire it out in order to get the posts driven in. Is this too small of a job to purchase a 3pt PHD? Any idea what it would cost to hire out?

If I did 8' spacing I calculate I would need approximately 94 posts.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Fence layout 1.jpg

Fence.PNG

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #2  
PT will be very expensive and I have yet to see one more than a couple of years old that doesn't looked overly weathered and doesn't sag. Most of the ones I've seen end up with sections falling over as the wood expands and contracts with weather changes.

Unless you're going for privacy, why not just go barbed wire? May not be pretty, but it does the job. I'm not really into curb appeal though.

'Nother thought would be hedges which is what I did. Takes a few years to grow in though and they need to be trimmed.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation
PT will be very expensive and I have yet to see one more than a couple of years old that doesn't looked overly weathered and doesn't sag. Most of the ones I've seen end up with sections falling over as the wood expands and contracts with weather changes.

Unless you're going for privacy, why not just go barbed wire? May not be pretty, but it does the job. I'm not really into curb appeal though.

'Nother thought would be hedges which is what I did. Takes a few years to grow in though and they need to be trimmed.

I like the idea of barbed wire for ease of maintenance and low cost. The high maintenance rules out the hedges and the aesthetics I seek rule out barbed wire. I will be using wire along the sides though.

If not PT lumber what will hold up?

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #4  
Is the wood treated? Will it be painted? Think of the maintenance whenever you put up a fence. If you are on the Texas Gulf coast my Mom needs to sell her 3pt PHD. One of her neighbors has miles of wood fence along a country road painted black. There is aways rotten wood and wood that needs painting. It is a lot of maintenance. It did look good for the first few years.

Barbed wire fence will last about 25-30 years with little maintenance.

Do you have any problem with wild hogs?

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #5  
If not PT lumber what will hold up?

Gulf Coast? Humidity, heat, potential for salt air and high winds .... dunno. Maybe check with experienced fence contractors in the area to see what they recommend. You could look at vinyl/PVC boards, but I don't know that they wouldn't sag in heat.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #6  
Is the 10ft gate the main driveway? That will feel really tight.

Bruce

Is the 10ft gate the main driveway? That will feel really tight.

Bruce

Yes. Good to know. I was originally thinking 8'. Will have to lay this out and reconsider.

Is the wood treated? Will it be painted? Think of the maintenance whenever you put up a fence. If you are on the Texas Gulf coast my Mom needs to sell her 3pt PHD. One of her neighbors has miles of wood fence along a country road painted black. There is aways rotten wood and wood that needs painting. It is a lot of maintenance. It did look good for the first few years.

Barbed wire fence will last about 25-30 years with little maintenance.

Do you have any problem with wild hogs?

Located in South Mississippi. Otherwise might be interested in a used 3pt PHD

Thankfully no issue with wild hogs.

All this talk of maintenance has me thinking of 740 feet of large boulders. :)

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #9  
Instead of barbed wire, I would recommend: High Tensile Smooth Wire. It cost less and last a lot longer and is easier to string. It works very well on T Post.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #10  
I am pretty out of touch on this issue but it used to be that we would run up to the rigs and get leftover casing. Steel pipe. Probably doesn't exist that way any more with the ability to recycle but....