Advice on fencing type and installation

/ Advice on fencing type and installation
Horse rail (RAMM fence, etc.) works pretty well. It does require tensioning about once a year.
https://kencove.com/fence/Horserail_product.php

Personally, I like the Hotcote wire. comes in white, brown or black and can be electrified if you choose to.
https://kencove.com/fence/Hotcote+(Electric)_detail_WSWH.php

Unless it's a pedestrian gate, I use 14 ft. or larger gates.

Interesting. Was not familiar with this product but I like it. Will have to check price.

^^ Thing is, he's using this as a road facing front yard decorative fence and he doesn't think wire looks right. I get that even though it wouldn't be a factor for me.

Some plastics age better than others and technology may have changed in that 12 years so that the newer stuff is better in UV resistance. That would be a question for the fence company.

Good point about the change in technology. Perhaps the new stuff is longer lasting and not as brittle. Eddie did point out something I have experienced with vinyl siding and vinyl fencing in the past. Hit it with a weed eater or rock and some of it shatters over time.

Have you considered Chain link fence? Properly installed, it will easily last 40 years with very little maintenance.
Yes. I'm not opposed to a chain link fence. I really like the black chain link and if money were no objection I would pour a concrete strip the length of the fence to make it easy to cut the grass.

I don't think there is any cost savings by going chain link over wood or PVC though.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #22  
Yes. I'm not opposed to a chain link fence. I really like the black chain link and if money were no objection I would pour a concrete strip the length of the fence to make it easy to cut the grass.

I don't think there is any cost savings by going chain link over wood or PVC though.

There may not be cost savings, but as an example there is a 1976 dated 5' chain link around my yard that is still in very good condition. Installed by the previous owner.

Wood and PVC both would be long gone and maybe replaced twice.

The drawback of chain link is unless it's installed a couple or three inches above the surface, it is difficult to weed eat around. It eats up string quickly. Grass killer works better than mechanical means when chain link is installed all the way to the ground. In your case, it looks like you might be OK to leave it a little high at the bottom.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #23  
Another thought. I have new neighbors next property over, wonderful people. The previous owner passed away but had quite a lot of white painted fence down long drive and house, a year before he passed away. New owners wanted to fence everything to match.
My advice was, although it's beautiful it's super expensive ($50k for what's there already), after just a year boards are warping, sections need repainting already.
Fence imho should match what's typically found in your area. Treated posts, steel T posts every 10ft then either woven wire or barbed wire is what you see in our area.
They are taking my advice.
I'm right now fencing areas like that, but some short runs like maybe 200 ft. along drive near house I'll use treated boards and posts.

Another thought. I have new neighbors next property over, wonderful people. The previous owner passed away but had quite a lot of white painted fence down long drive and house, a year before he passed away. New owners wanted to fence everything to match.
My advice was, although it's beautiful it's super expensive ($50k for what's there already), after just a year boards are warping, sections need repainting already.
Fence imho should match what's typically found in your area. Treated posts, steel T posts every 10ft then either woven wire or barbed wire is what you see in our area.
They are taking my advice.
I'm right now fencing areas like that, but some short runs like maybe 200 ft. along drive near house I'll use treated boards and posts.

Fencing is crazy expensive and your advice is sound. Wood rail fencing is common in the area but I could go with chain link or any of the other options and it won't be an issue.

Sort of thinking of large posts with wood gate at entry then chain link woven wire along the rest. Cost of installation is one factor but longevity and low maintenance is just as important.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #25  
I would go with welded pipe. It will last forever and looks way better than chain link.

I would go with welded pipe. It will last forever and looks way better than chain link.

Wouldn't be opposed to this style either but I think it will be too costly.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #27  
There is different grades of PVC fence. The better grade PVC fence, the longer it will last. Problem with PVC where there is heavy frost it can tend to heave.

Pressure treated fence we usually let untreated for 6 months before we stain or treat it. Usually get a few boards that need replaced due to warping.
Cedar wood fences seems to hold better but is more expensive.

Aluminum fence by far holds up the best, but is also the most expensive.

I've been installing fence for over 20 years.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #28  
A last thought is how long you plan living there. I looked at your picture again and it looks like maybe a 10ft gate going to the house? If so, you need much wider, 16'-18'.
Where I'm fencing (I'm far from expert) I love gates. I want one so a fire truck, rescue, tractor can get to different areas easily. A couple places I have a 4ft walk through right beside an 18ft gate.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #29  
15' at least on the gate.

I saw a fence in progress the other day. Why do we notice this stuff after reading a thread on a forum, eh?

They were using a rolled standard welded wire grid of maybe 4x4 or 6x6 grids, stretched between wooden posts. What caught my eye though was the PT 2x6 top rail along the whole length.

I also try to keep a 3" or so clearance above ground for mowing/trimming.

/ Advice on fencing type and installation #30  
Down here, places with timber fencing usually means horse people, or more too the point, studs and winning race horses, it is a display of money. I always think of the wasted money.

Also, you may not like barb and netting etc, but if you were too sell, would be a fair bet that people pay attention to type of fencing and ability to contain and exclude various stock.

Barbed wire and woven netting with T posts, steel or Concrete strainers etc are not hard on the eyes or pocket in years too come.