Chipper Advice on PTO Chipper

/ Advice on PTO Chipper #31  
I’m sticking with the woodmaxx mx8800 simply because it made in the USA. That, and it has hydrostatic drive not hydraulic. Mostly cause it’s made in the USA.

/ Advice on PTO Chipper #32  
I bought a Chinese PTO chipper a number of years back 1000lbs, auto-feed, rated for 6" logs. I used it primarily for saplings when clearing land and also for tree branches with leaves. It did a great job with the saplings and was flawless. For larger branches, it did an ok job but the chute would get clogged up and it takes time to clear it out. Would I recommend getting one like this? If saplings and branches with leaves, absolutely. Larger stuff to avoid clog-up will require you to wait for the item to be chipped before putting in the next one but lets face it, do any of us? Chips are like pea gravel size with occasional shreds. Here's a sample of last year's chipping. A lot of the stuff in the pic was long dead, fresh cut stuff chips beautifully and looks great.

Attachments

• chips.JPG
    chips.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Advice on PTO Chipper #33  
Those chips look like mine from the WM-8H. But i am patient and do one large branch at a time. Works well.

• Good Post
   / Advice on PTO Chipper #34  
I have had a Woodland Mills WC88 for a few years. One of the best purchases I have ever made. The machine continues to amaze me every time I use it. I was so impressed with the engineering of this machine that when I wanted a Sawmill I purchased a Woodland Mills HM130 MAXX Sawmill. I have been pleased with it also.

/ Advice on PTO Chipper #35  
We use a lot of mulch. Until recently mulch was free from the county. Unfortunately they stopped their mulch program (backwards rural county can't get anything right and when they do they eventually mess that up). Purchasing mulch at the volume I want is very expensive.

Anyway, looking into pto driven chippers. I have a 45 hp tractor (about 40 hp at pto).

I don't really need one for material disposal. I need it specifically for mulch production. Material supply is not an issue. I cut my own firewood and there are always downed trees on my property.

So I guess my question is this: Will a pto chipper fill that need? If so, I am interested in recommendations on brands, models, features, things to avoid etc.

Thanks.
Check out Betst
We use a lot of mulch. Until recently mulch was free from the county. Unfortunately they stopped their mulch program (backwards rural county can't get anything right and when they do they eventually mess that up). Purchasing mulch at the volume I want is very expensive.

Anyway, looking into pto driven chippers. I have a 45 hp tractor (about 40 hp at pto).

I don't really need one for material disposal. I need it specifically for mulch production. Material supply is not an issue. I cut my own firewood and there are always downed trees on my property.

So I guess my question is this: Will a pto chipper fill that need? If so, I am interested in recommendations on brands, models, features, things to avoid etc.

Thanks.
Check out Betstco products out of Oregon. I bought one for my Massey 1723 that works great. They offer free shipping and were better priced than other suppliers.

• Good Post
   / Advice on PTO Chipper #36  
I second woodland mills. I ordered a sawmill a couple years ago, which Ive been wanting for about 20 years. On whim I thought, what the hell gonna splurge and try out a chipper, for fruit tree trimmings, limbs from firewood that are too small to use, and general yard waste. I was VERY impressed with the chipper. I got the 6 inch, anything larger is firewood. Itll pull in about anything it can get a bite on a pull down its throat. Never used any other chipper but I have no problem recommending woodland mills. The sawmill works pretty good too.

• Good Post
   / Advice on PTO Chipper
I’m sticking with the woodmaxx mx8800 simply because it made in the USA. That, and it has hydrostatic drive not hydraulic. Mostly cause it’s made in the USA.
Can you explain the difference between hydrostatic and hydraulic in this case and why one is better than the other?

Also, what advantages do those two have over mechanical feed?

Thanks.

/ Advice on PTO Chipper #38  
I had the same question. Here’s the email response....

few questions..1. what is the difference between hydraulic and hydrostatic
infeed on the chippers to justift a $1,000 increase in price. - A: Hydraulic
drive used a gear type pump that moves a predetermined amount of oil every
full rotation of its input shaft. These pumps are known as "fixed
displacement" pumps. The oil in a hydraulic system is in constant
circulation, moving from the pump to control valves that can redirect the
oil flow as needed before continuing to the oil reservoir. In -feed rates
are set using a pressure compensating flow control valve.

A Hydrostatic pump is a totally different design and uses pistons inside a
rotating barrel type pump. It is known as a "variable displacement" pump
because a person can push / pull a lever and change the amount of oil
pumped. When a Hydrostatic Pump is in the neutral position, the internals
are spinning but they are not pumping any oil. When you move the handle
forward or back, a lever on the outside of the hydro pump rotates a shaft
that is connected to a "swash plate" inside the pump and causes it to tilt
away from being square from the body of the pump. The more you tilt the
swash plate, the further the pistons travel up and down inside the rotating
barrel and the greater the amount of oil is pumped.

Besides the infeed system, the WM series are manufactured in China and the
MX series are manufactured in the United States. The MX series require 2
quarts of motor oil and the WM series requires 7 gallons of hydraulic oil.

bottom line, there is a greater accuracy of speed control with the hydrostatic unit. The low end is a lot slower than the hydraulic version. When I chip large dead junk wood, I need to slow it down a lot.

/ Advice on PTO Chipper #39  
Can you explain the difference between hydrostatic and hydraulic in this case and why one is better than the other?

Also, what advantages do those two have over mechanical feed?

Thanks.
Hydrostatic is a misnomer. Even in tractors, they really employ hydraulic transmissions. Not hydrostatic. Any time movement of fluid is involved, it is hydraulic. Hydrostatic is fluid pressure with no movement involved. Like filling a tank with water and trying to pump more into it, thus causing a higher pressure in the tank - that is called a hydrostatic test. Or a scuba diver down a ways feels a higher pressure because of the depth of the water. Hydraulic feed chippers can be reversed, with a valve - this helps greatly when something gets stuck.

/ Advice on PTO Chipper #40  
. It is known as a "variable displacement" pump
because a person can push / pull a lever and change the amount of oil
pumped.
This is known as a variable displacement hydraulic pump.