Aggravating McAfee popup

/ Aggravating McAfee popup
If you hover over the "scan" button BUT DON'T CLICK ON IT, is there a web address that appears in the corner of your screen?
I did that and it says http://otrck.com/click. I was just reading a link on nola.com and now this popup came up. Could it be that an antivirus seller is installing malware to get you to buy their antivirus?

1692751878508.png

/ Aggravating McAfee popup #12  
I guess it's possible, but highly unethical. So I doubt it's actually being generated by McAffee. I mean it could be, I don't have any feelings about McAffee either positive or negative, but they are an actual "company", and I'd still like to think most wouldn't stoop this low. But I'm still thinking it's a ruse to get you to go to a pirate hacker site and click on something that downloads a virus, or installs spyware on your PC.

I think the only way you're going to get rid of it is to get some form of malware software to remove it. Most antivirus software has trouble identifying "malware" as harmful, so it doesn't get flagged and removed.

That hyper link is NOT going to anywhere on a McAffee website. I certainly wouldn't click on it myself.

/ Aggravating McAfee popup #13  
   / Aggravating McAfee popup #14  
I installed Malwarebytes 2 weeks ago to get rid of annoying pop-up and I know I opted for the FREE version of Malwarebytes.
It worked for the pop-up I was trying to get rid of, but installed it's own pop-up for the paid version of Malwarebytes.
That right there is funny....... but true.

/ Aggravating McAfee popup #15  
These push notifications to web browser is a new way to push spam popups. It's a BS feature allowed by web browser, and most people click "yaddi yaddi yes yes yes *click*.....just give me mah stuff" and presto.........I've been in IT since the mid 80's.

/ Aggravating McAfee popup #16  
Just for the heck of it, have you checked the list of installed programs on your computer to confirm that you don't have a version of McAfee installed?

If it's there, and that's not the antivirus you want to use, then I would uninstall it. It is common for a PC to come pre-installed with a trial version of antivirus software, and the nagging to buy it can be annoying.

/ Aggravating McAfee popup #18  
If you want to eliminate those type of problems entirely,
then drop Windows like a hot potato and switch to Linux.

I have been using Linux distros for over 15 years and I
have never had a single virus or malware problem.

/ Aggravating McAfee popup
When I bought this computer it had a program on it that tried to get me to buy McAfee. I uninstalled that program but evidently it left files on my computer. I did a long search for McAfee and finally, under Task Manager, Services, I found McAfee WebAdvisor that was running. I turned it off and have had no new popups from it yet.

/ Aggravating McAfee popup #20  
When I bought this computer it had a program on it that tried to get me to buy McAfee. I uninstalled that program but evidently it left files on my computer. I did a long search for McAfee and finally, under Task Manager, Services, I found McAfee WebAdvisor that was running. I turned it off and have had no new popups from it yet.
Next time you start your computer I'll bet WebAdvisor will reload. You need to find that file and delete it, if you can. Make sure it is not running or you won't be able to delete it.