Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool
First test run of the fountain had mixed results. The flow is a little slow with just the water filling it up, but when the pool was full, and the pump was turned on, it was just too much pressure. I drilled 3 quarter inch holes in each of the three copper pipes for the water to come out. I'm going to make them 3/8's and see how that works. If I get good results, I may add a few more holes. I want volume, but less pressure. If it doesn't work, I will add a valve to the line so I can reduce the amount of water.

Kenschi is one of our puppies that will be 16 months old on the 19th. She is around 100 pounds and a little chunky. She is the first to try new things and the one that likes the water the most!!!

200867459_4344615098895431_6354669281348514623_n.jpg

/ Akita Pool #273  
First test run of the fountain had mixed results. The flow is a little slow with just the water filling it up, but when the pool was full, and the pump was turned on, it was just too much pressure. I drilled 3 quarter inch holes in each of the three copper pipes for the water to come out. I'm going to make them 3/8's and see how that works. If I get good results, I may add a few more holes. I want volume, but less pressure. If it doesn't work, I will add a valve to the line so I can reduce the amount of water.

Kenschi is one of our puppies that will be 16 months old on the 19th. She is around 100 pounds and a little chunky. She is the first to try new things and the one that likes the water the most!!!

View attachment 702785
Very inquisitive!

/ Akita Pool
There are 3 flexible half inch copper pipes bent over the rock. I started with drilling three 1/4 inch holes in each pipe. Not enough water came out, and what did come out had too much pressure, so I drilled the holes bigger. I tried a 3/8's bit first and didn't think it was big enough, so I went up to almost half an inch. It's two sizes smaller from my drill bits, but I don't remember what the exact size was.

The bigger hole made a difference, but also creates splashing and over spray. I ended up drilling a total of 20 holes and adjusting the holes with some channel lock plyers. By bending the beginning of the hole, or the end it, I could change how the water came out. It was all trial and error, but eventually I got there.

IMG_8404.JPG

To move the filter so it was behind the rocks, I needed to pour concrete and then make the line from the pump to the filter linger. Turns out it's exactly 5 feet longer. Then I ran the line back to the pump, and then turned around and went back to the filter again. This gave me room to put in the backflow valve and chlorinator. I'm still going to add a mineral sanitizer to it, and this gives me plenty of space. Then after the chlorinator, I have my water supply line to fill the pool, and a T that splits the water from the water fall and the nozzle that circulates the water around the pool so it goes into the skimmer. After just a few hours at the lowest setting, I'm at .5 ppm

IMG_8407.JPG

/ Akita Pool #275  
Have decided to chlorinate or use salt yet? Nice setup with the water fall. Now you just have to get fancy with about $1000 worth of led lights.

/ Akita Pool
I bought this Hayward Chlorinator. It's uses either chlorine or Bromine. I filled it with Bromine tablets and I'm checking the levels every day to try and get it adjusted right for the size of my pool. I'm only 3,000 gallons, so it's bigger then a spa, but a lot smaller then most pools.

/ Akita Pool #278  
Heck I would probably be in that pool myself if it gets much hotter in TX. Heading back there to the farm next week to help Dad with some new cattle panels. Just West of ya there (Eustace).

/ Akita Pool #279  
Heck I would probably be in that pool myself if it gets much hotter in TX. Heading back there to the farm next week to help Dad with some new cattle panels. Just West of ya there (Eustace).
Me too... suppose to hit 88 today and possibly mid 90s this weekend! That is record temps for around the Seattle area.

It won't be pretty but the neighbor might get a glimpse of me running through the sprinkler! :eek:

/ Akita Pool
Fathers Day was a big success. Warren is 4 years old and he was the first to get into the pool. It didn't take long until everyone was in it. I really think that I made it the perfect size. 3 feet deep, 12x16 feet wide.

My Dad just turned 85. He's beaten 2 types of cancer and is now in the early stages of Dementia. The patches on his chest are for his heart monitor. He's at the age where going to the doctor is almost a daily event. Mom will be 80 in November.

IMG_8456.JPG IMG_8447.JPG IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8429.JPG IMG_5088.jpg IMG_5071.jpg