Aligning PTO shafts

/ Aligning PTO shafts #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
On my Massey, there are three positions on the PTO engagement, including one where the output shaft will turn freely. So far I have been unsuccessful in figuring out if there is some way to do the same on my B3030. Makes it very difficult lining them up on some equipment.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #2  
Not all tractors have a free spinning PTO, but there's still a good option to make things easier. If you don't have the implement raised on a dolly or blocks to allow the blade/auger/tines to spin, then first attach the 3ph and raise it off the ground before connecting the PTO to the tractor. That way you can turn the implements PTO slightly to get things aligned.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #3  
I do exactly as Ford850 indicates. Forget about the PTO UNTIL I get my Wallenstein chipper completely hooked up to the 3-point. Then hook the pto to the implement - lastly, hook the PTO to the tractor. I can rotate the PTO shaft by hand to get the required alignment with the tractor.

This way the PTO shaft connected to the implement does any rotating necessary rather than with the PTO connected to the tractor.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #4  
Without walking out to the barn to confirm this, I think my L4330 PTO output won't hand turn with the motor running but it will turn with the motor off.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #5  
jmc - I have had three Kubotas (L3130, MX5000 and L5030) and all three operated as your L4330

/ Aligning PTO shafts #6  
As others have mentioned, I always connect my 3-point first then raise the implement off the ground slightly before attempting to connect the PTO shaft. One addition though, some implements are still quite stiff to turn the shaft by hand, so I keep a small bar handy for leverage to rotate the shaft. I use a piece of 3/4" round rod cut to about 18" long, this can be placed through the Yoke on the drive shaft of the implement for extra leverage to turn it. Hope this helps.
Just remember that working anywhere near the PTO shaft while the engine is running is very dangerous even if not engaged.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #7  
View attachment 575868 I finally broke down and bought this tool. Its by Klein - called an adjustable stub wrench. Good for rotating PTO shafts and that last 1/4" necessary to align 3-point with implement.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #8  
On my BX, I just switch it to mid pto only.

And yes... always turn the machine off and pull the key.

A while back, I heard a local farmer had their dog inside of their tractor. Well the old man was hooking up a bush hog, the dog got spooked, and inadvertently hit the pto lever as it jumped out of the cab. Ripped both his arms off instantly and got lacerated up from his jacket. Didn't survive because his wife didn't see him for 4 hours... I saw pictures of it, and it was disgusting...

/ Aligning PTO shafts #9  
My L4060 will rotate half a turn or so freely by hand when the engine is off. Never tried with the engine on as I've heard way to many horror stories like the one above. Hooking the PTO shaft up with my quick hitch in the way can be a bit of a pain. But the impliment is usually off the ground so that half rotates pretty easily too.

/ Aligning PTO shafts
One addition though, some implements are still quite stiff to turn the shaft by hand, so I keep a small bar handy for leverage to rotate the shaft. I use a piece of 3/4" round rod cut to about 18" long, this can be placed through the Yoke on the drive shaft of the implement for extra leverage to turn it. Hope this helps.

Yes, my finish mower is one that turns hard even though it's not engaging any ground/grass. Great idea on keeping a bar handy to insert in the yoke. I think that may be my answer.

On my BX, I just switch it to mid pto only.

I will have to try that - assuming you mean that in mid-only the rear is free?

And yes... always turn the machine off and pull the key.

Always with machine off. I'm not so paranoid (not saying that's a bad thing) to take the key out.