Aligning PTO shafts

/ Aligning PTO shafts #21  
Yup. All the splines are equally spaced. Keeping things clean & lubed really helps. I like Fluid film & the OEM plastic cover.

Yep. Can't agree enough on the lube and plastic cover...

Most people throw theirs out, like the dealer forgot to take it off. That plastic cover preserves the lube and keep gunk off the output shaft, making it easier and cleaner to install your next implement.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #22  
Yep. Can't agree enough on the lube and plastic cover...

Most people throw theirs out, like the dealer forgot to take it off. That plastic cover preserves the lube and keep gunk off the output shaft, making it easier and cleaner to install your next implement.

I still have my metal PTO cover for my 61 year old Ford 850. I use the same routine on that as my newer DX55... Keep the PTO shaft clean with some light oil and a rag occasionally, and cover immediately when I remove any pto implement.

/ Aligning PTO shafts #23  
On my BX, I just switch it to mid pto only.

And yes... always turn the machine off and pull the key.

A while back, I heard a local farmer had their dog inside of their tractor. Well the old man was hooking up a bush hog, the dog got spooked, and inadvertently hit the pto lever as it jumped out of the cab. Ripped both his arms off instantly and got lacerated up from his jacket. Didn't survive because his wife didn't see him for 4 hours... I saw pictures of it, and it was disgusting...

OMG !! Do you have a date or link to news story on that ? That's about the worst I ever heard. Usually people die, if by tractor, (where I come from) in a roll over and that typically bush hogging in rough terrain. Once in a long while a machine will fall on someone and kill them (did one of my high school friends.) Another got an arm ripped off in a hay baler (which was successfully sewn back on...) but 2 arms torn off and died triggered by the dog ??? Wow.

Last edited:
   / Aligning PTO shafts #24  
I bought that looked like that from the goody table at Tractor Supply. It came in handy for lots of things. Wish I could find it. :(
The same place I bought mine. The first thing I did was paint it bright yellow so when I laid it down while using it in the field or woods I could easily spot it. :D

/ Aligning PTO shafts #25  
Yup. All the splines are equally spaced. Keeping things clean & lubed really helps. I like Fluid film & the OEM plastic cover.

Ok, so I went out and tried it out again the next morning, in full daylight. With a lot of force and jiggling, it finally went on. Next time I will lubricate and grease both members quite well, because the grease was quite stiff and sticky due to the low temperatures. Anyway, all is well that ends well, and now my rear blower is all set up and ready to go!