All Quiet On The Power Trac Front!

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #21  
Boy are you right mossroad, there is no PT talk. Maybe its just that the pt world is just kickin back. I see lots of viewers, maybe they should yak yak just a little. All is well here in wi. After the 4 or 5 " of snow. All gone now. Have blessed thanksgiving. Dale

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #22  
I went over to church on Saturday to help raise a drain and did not take the PT. It was too small a project. I did not tell the PT. So things are quiet.

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front!
Not much tractor work for me right now, either. Leaves are picked up. Waiting for snow now.

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #24  
I did put down lime and mow at the same time with the PT a couple of weeks ago.

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #25  
I hauled a little firewood to the wood shed with the PT. Still picking up stuff i cut early this year. Going to have to get cutting for next year pretty soon.

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #26  
Wow... What a nice implement...!!

I met a cottager once, who told me he had a better technique than a chainsaw to remove tall trees (not necessarily dying ones)... Sounds a lot like your tool.

He explained to me that he uses the 2K lbs winch mounted on the front of his Dixie Chopper zero-turn. Using *very* long cables, he would attach a cable as high on a tree as his extension ladder would allow. Then, he would park his mower 100+ft away, wedged against the trunk of another large tree. Then, he would slowly let the winch do its work, pulling the top half of the tree down, bending it, until the roots would give. Voilà! No stump to grind out!

Apparently works most of the time in his mountainous region. But, I can imagine that depending on the tree type and soil conditions, that approach might never work, as the tree would snap its trunk midway instead of the roots giving out...

Next time you use your implement, it would be great to see a shot of your tool being used when it is not inline with the fall direction of the tree.

Cheers,
I was kind of thinking of what you said about wedging the dixie chopper against a larger tree stump and in my three stooge vision I am seeing something like the large spring loaded punkin throwing contraption, only instead of it throwing punkins I see a Dixie Chopper breaking loose from it's wedged position and taking flight. Ouch! There was a man that had the intentions of pulling down a telephone pole with his 4 wheeler using a cable, the problem with his plans was that his cable was too short. He did pull the telephone pole down, it landed on his head that actually happened about 2 or 3 years ago and it amazingly never killed him.

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #27  
Sandblasting my tractor rims and epoxy priming and painting them. Exciting stuff. Four done. I will let them cure until after Thanksgiving, then remount the tires and do the next four. I was amazed at how rusty they were on the outside.

Also finally doing some welding. My next project is to add the mount to the V-plow.

Ken