All Quiet On The Power Trac Front!

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #11  
Wow... What a nice implement...!!

I met a cottager once, who told me he had a better technique than a chainsaw to remove tall trees (not necessarily dying ones)... Sounds a lot like your tool.

He explained to me that he uses the 2K lbs winch mounted on the front of his Dixie Chopper zero-turn. Using *very* long cables, he would attach a cable as high on a tree as his extension ladder would allow. Then, he would park his mower 100+ft away, wedged against the trunk of another large tree. Then, he would slowly let the winch do its work, pulling the top half of the tree down, bending it, until the roots would give. Voilà! No stump to grind out!

Apparently works most of the time in his mountainous region. But, I can imagine that depending on the tree type and soil conditions, that approach might never work, as the tree would snap its trunk midway instead of the roots giving out...

Next time you use your implement, it would be great to see a shot of your tool being used when it is not inline with the fall direction of the tree.

Cheers,

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front!
View attachment 230068

My PT425 has become an indispensable extension of my being ! Burning brush with mini hoe/thumb and grapple bucket. Built road with it this summer.
Waiting for cooler weather to start logging again. Many dead trees are calling !
Picture attached of home made hydraulic winch I built for pulling down
the widow makers in my wood lots. Its got 7K of pulling power and can be used on or off the PT. For light pulls the dozer blade digs in to the ground as you pull or you can hook on to a tree base with nylon strapfor full 7K pull. Strong like bull. Winch free spools and has 2 speeds... made for pickup trucks. inexpensive to build with square tubing and trailer towing parts.

Very nice! :thumbsup:

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #13  
:eek::eek::eek: FAZTRAC How could you be keeping this from us!

Wow that is SWEET!:thumbsup:

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #14  
I have been doing some firewood, and I love using the PT1460.

Here is a video I took of my McCulloch Super Pro 125 fitted with a 101B race motor. It will cut faster than any stock saw on the market today. 123cc and probably 12 HP or so. Fitted with a 33" roller nose bar and .404 full comp chisel chain. Log is about 20". Enjoy!!

chainsaw :: 003-8.mp4 video by jmueller57 - Photobucket

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #15  
I looked at some of your other videos. Mean chainsaws. Some vintage ones too. Glad you got the chaps........ This a hobby or a profession? I have a stihl 044 with a 36" bar and it scares the heck out of me.

Carl

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #16  
I looked at some of your other videos. Mean chainsaws. Some vintage ones too. Glad you got the chaps........ This a hobby or a profession? I have a stihl 044 with a 36" bar and it scares the heck out of me.

Carl

It is a hobby. I burn a lot of wood, 8-9 cords a year, but I sure don't need all those saws for that. That saw in the video has over twice the power of an 044, and no chain brake, lol. I am very careful with that saw.

The vintage muscle saws are a lot of fun to fix up and run, and the hobby is relatively inexpensive. Also, I get get out of it anytime and sell my saws, getting my money back.

It is a hobby. I burn a lot of wood, 8-9 cords a year, but I sure don't need all those saws for that. That saw in the video has over twice the power of an 044, and no chain brake, lol. I am very careful with that saw.

The vintage muscle saws are a lot of fun to fix up and run, and the hobby is relatively inexpensive. Also, I get get out of it anytime and sell my saws, getting my money back.

Nice! I cut 5-6 cords a year with a 18" Poulan Pro... takes a bit longer than that. :laughing:

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #18  
Nice! I cut 5-6 cords a year with a 18" Poulan Pro... takes a bit longer than that. :laughing:

Ha, I opened the exhaust and re-tuned the carb on my little 021 stihl and it blast right thru logs as fast as that....cept maybe the logs about a 1/4 the size.:laughing:

Ha, I opened the exhaust and re-tuned the carb on my little 021 stihl and it blast right thru logs as fast as that....cept maybe the logs about a 1/4 the size.:laughing:

Yeah, I still am tempted to do that to mine. Other projects abound... oh, and family, too. :laughing:

/ All Quiet On The Power Trac Front! #20  
Yeah, I still am tempted to do that to mine. Other projects abound... oh, and family, too. :laughing:
I have to admit, i did it cause my saw needed alittle tlc. I got on one of those arborist sites read a few post then went to work. It took about 1 hour for me and im pretty slow. Varoom! :)