Alphabet soup

/ Alphabet soup #1  

Hill Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Belarus 825, for now.
SAE, NPT, JIC, MNPT, NPSM..........It's all greek to me. Can someone give me the quick and dirty version of making sense out of hydraulic fittings? Is there a "standard" that I need to try to try to stay with?

/ Alphabet soup #2  
The three that are used most commonly are the NPT, JIC, and ORB. I personally like to use the JIC's whenever I can.

I have references at home that I can link later to help identify the different types.

/ Alphabet soup #4  
That link that Eric posted is what I use to clarify the different fittings.
There are connectors and adapters you can get to go from one kind to another. Such as from NPT to JIC for example. I like to use JIC or ORB fittings when I can. They are clean and don't leak. They don't require Teflon tape or paste to make them seal. NPT fittings are very common. Most do require either tape or paste to get them to seal properly.
There are other fittings besides those that were listed above.
Such as Metric fittings and British Pipe fittings (BSP).
Rob-

/ Alphabet soup #5  
I thought I knew what JIC 37 degree meant. :confused: Well, at least we know what the angle of the flare is, 37 degrees. :) The JIC stands for Joint Industrial Council, which means nothing to nobody. So why still use it, it has nothing to do with hydraulics as it stands now except a carry over from days gone by. It was mentioned back in the early 40 in association with standards for electrical, pneumatics, and hydraulics. It has not been used to explain anything since then. I guess it is some abbreviation that sounds cute, that they are used to uttering and used in books, etc We all know what they are talking about, but not really. Again, what does JIC stand for. Fifteen min from now, you will forget it. . Just ranting. Just wasted some of my valuable time trying to look up the term. I was so disappointed. Yea, sure.:D:D:D

/ Alphabet soup #7  
The absolute best thing you can do is stop by your local hydraulic hose shop and pick up a catalog. There is so much useful info in there that most people don't know about. I've been doing this for years and I still learn something new from the catalogs.

/ Alphabet soup #8  
SAE, NPT, JIC, MNPT, NPSM..........It's all greek to me. Can someone give me the quick and dirty version of making sense out of hydraulic fittings? Is there a "standard" that I need to try to try to stay with?

They are different type of threads and styles on fittings...JIC is more or less standard hose couplings today....but, you will need adapters to attach to valves, and other components...
JIC are supposed to seal better and also JIC-threads lasts longer, because of the inverted 37 deg cone (compared to SAE)....

NPT usually have tapered male end....need teflontape usually...

to identify threads this link can be helpful....
http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/upload/db_documents_doc_14.pdf

/ Alphabet soup
Thanks folks, it is starting to make a little sense to me now.