Alternator problems?

/ Alternator problems? #1  

Bob77064

Elite Member
Tractor
2011 LS R3039
The gauge in my truck has always shown 14 volts, for a few weeks now it has gone down to 13 and up to 15 several times. Does this indicate a problem with the alternator or voltage regulator?

/ Alternator problems? #2  
depending on the age of your truck the regulater is probably built inside the alternator what i would do is chack the alternator charging from the battery with a tester see if it jumps from 13 to 15 volts if it stays around 14 then you have a guage problem witch is on a printed circut and the whole panel has to be replaced more than likly just be sure and do the basic checks first check battery and conections on the alternater hope this helps

/ Alternator problems? #3  
deffinately check with a multi meter.. set in truck and probe cig lighter and do it at idle and revved.

if it drops below 13.8 at idle.. or goes over 15 revved.. time for a checksee.

/ Alternator problems? #4  
deffinately check with a multi meter.. set in truck and probe cig lighter and do it at idle and revved.

if it drops below 13.8 at idle.. or goes over 15 revved.. time for a checksee.

SG, On a side note. If your ammeter gage jumps from center to charge back and forth, is that a bad regulator? Thanks.

/ Alternator problems?
Thanks for the help guys.

/ Alternator problems? #6  
I'm no expert, but a jumping ammeter would probably indicate a loose connection or short of some kind I would think.

BTW - My 2004 GMC had alternator troubles at ~ 150K miles and I changed the alternator. Had some charging issues with the replacement and let it go becuase it wasn't setting any messages or codes. I ended up frying the Body Control Modual. Which then lead to a whole mess of electrical gremlins. So my point is to get that straighten out ASAP.

/ Alternator problems?
My truck is a 2007 Tundra with 119k.

/ Alternator problems? #8  
SG, On a side note. If your ammeter gage jumps from center to charge back and forth, is that a bad regulator? Thanks.

if this is on a generator based system, i'd say it could be worn brushes, weak springs or tall mica.. or a real cruddy vreg field circuit, perhaps with an open bias resistor.

need to know the application before going further with that thought.

/ Alternator problems? #9  
I'm no expert, but a jumping ammeter would probably indicate a loose connection or short of some kind I would think.

short? that failure mode not coming to mind unless I also see smoke.. :)

/ Alternator problems? #10  
What year vehicle? Reason I ask is they started monitoring load on the electrical system, if there is no load then they turn the duty cycle of the alternator way down to conserve fuel. It may just be something you noticed. We dont test alternators with a DVOM, you need to load it to get a real test.