Aluminum utility type trailer

/ Aluminum utility type trailer #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Just interested in people's thoughts.

I am going to buy a new Aluminum trailer to transport 2 utility ATVs or 1 SxS. I have a 6x12' currently (going to sell) and it is a bit too small (like 6" too small in length for the 2 ATVS) so I want a 14'. I want a single axle aluminum for the lightweight so I can tow it with my Jeep Wrangler if I don't want to take the truck. Dont need much in the capacity area because I currently have a 12K duel wheel eqpt. trailer and a 12K dump so in this case small is fine. Average load under 1500lbs. (both have 3500lbs axles). On both I will be roughly 900-1000lbs under the weight limits of the trailers

Now the queston. I have two options, a utility trailer 6x14, with 1' tall rails all around. The other option is a 7'x14' flatbed style. Both have ramps and the price is within $200 of each other. Not really sure which one I want to go with as I see advantages to both. Thenonly negative I really have with the 7x14 is there is not much in tie down points, but I am guessing they could be added - correct? The 7" could be nice but it also is a bit wider to tow on the narrow roads that we travel to riding areas.

What is everyones thoughts?

/ Aluminum utility type trailer #2  
Do you ever load from the side or asked another way does the 7 ft flat bed have option to put ramps on the side so that you can load from the side?

I have a 7’ x 14’ and yes it is almost 9’ wide to outside of the tires so can be a challenge to stay in your lane on narrow roads.

/ Aluminum utility type trailer
I really don't load from the side but with the tractor and forks, it could be a nice option. Also thought I could always put the little BX on it with the mower to run down the road to help a neighbor mow.

/ Aluminum utility type trailer #4  
Is it odd that a flatbed doesn't have many tie down points?

Ive hauled my side by side several times in my 6' 8" wide dump trailer and had to load it to the right side in order to open the driver's door enough to get in and out. 1' high might clear your door, if you even have them.

I currently have a Honda Talon that sits on 32"s so I am 99% sure I can clear the sides with my doors (I did on my old one) but that is a good point and I should take a few measurements before I look at the new ones.

I think the trailer has 6 tie downs but would like at least 8 (4 for each ATV) - but I don't care if I need to add them if I can find something suitable.

/ Aluminum utility type trailer #6  
IF you can maneuver it on your narrow roads the difficulty of adding tie downs to the 7' wide should be minor compared to widening the 6' to 7'.

To follow up - I went to the dealer today and come back with the 7x14'. It ended up having 8 tie-down points so I don't have any worry about adding some and the extra width was really nice. Also found out the rear ramp not only bifolds but can be laid flat on the trailer if you have a shorter load or are empty so that was a nice little bonus. Overall pleased with the trailer and thank you to everyone for the info and help.

/ Aluminum utility type trailer #8  
I think with 14' you could put one quad sideways in the front and the SXS behind it.

I have a 12' with side rails, I really like side rails for moving quads and the such. Mine has a 5' section of the side rail that comes out so I can fit one quad sideways and pull a SXS on the back. I wouldnt go just cutting out the side rail, as they are part of the frame. On mine I decided to extend the tongue and ran it all the way back to the front of the leaf spring. I customized this trailer specifically for hauling quads and other machines along with there gear.

I would get a trailer with brakes even though it's only a single axle trailer. Having brakes is very nice even when towing with my 3/4ton vehicle.