Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #1  

Doug_D

Tractor
Kubota M7040
Friend bought a new Husqvarna MZ54. One hour runtime, it starts smoking (blueish) on startup. He check's crankcase oil and its chalky white. Loads it back up and heads to the dealer. He ask the dealer to drain oil so he can view what it looks like. Dealer gets grumpy and says no you can't be back in the shop area. After 10-15 minutes of nonsense, they finally agree to let him stand in the door so he can watch. Oil comes out as you see in the photos (chalky oil - it was like water!). He ask dealer to put some in a bottle he had in his truck and dealer says no. After a few minutes of more nonsense excuses (no funnel, they gotta recycle, etc.) they finally put some in the bottle - please see photos.

Long story short. Dealer says he's seen this before and its fine. Does a quick oil change and wants him to leave. My buddy is a little frustrated his brand new ($5500!) mower blows a puff of smoke upon startup.

What would you guys do? Is my buddy out of line for wanting him to swap mowers or take it back?

Attachments

• oil in pan.jpeg
    oil in pan.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
  • oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
   / Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #2  
Lets start from the beginning. Did your friend check the oil before start up?

No, that does not look normal. I would not run the mower and send an oil sample to Blackstone.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR
Lets start from the beginning. Did your friend check the oil before start up?

No, that does not look normal. I would not run the mower and send an oil sample to Blackstone.

Mower is brand new. Guy just got it home so no I don't think he checked the oil until he saw the smoke. Not only that, DEALER says they don't check the oil either when they come in. They only have to put the wheels, arms, and a few other things. "It does not say anything about us having to check the oil before we sell it"....

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #5  
its water, my snow blower did it every season cus it sat outside. it lasted 15 years and blew a rod. take from that what you want.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #6  
OP, I see your point and agree the dealer "should have" checked the oil and other fluids.

From posts on this board and personal experience we know dealers sometimes don't do what they "should".

Respectfully its the operators responsibility to do basic things like check fluid levels before operating any equipment. Especially on new machines.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #7  
Yep - full of water. And running it caused it to turn into mayonnaise. The dealer sounds terrible. But the friend should have pulled the dipstick before running too.

Still blowing blue smoke? If so, that won't get better. May not get worse though.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #8  
I would be curious to know where the water came from and when they drained it how much fluid did they drain.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #9  
Im would definately send that off for analysis.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #10  
I would be curious to know where the water came from and when they drained it how much fluid did they drain.
generally comes in through the exhaust.