Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #21  
Yet I’m sure they charge for “prep and setup”. I bought a brand new Hustler X One a few years ago from a very reputable dealer. On the first oil change, at 5 hours, the oil had a very orange opacity. Their service manager said that he had seen that numerous times. Machine ran great. So, I changed the oil and they documented it, I sent photos, saved emails, etc. Four years later, it runs like a top. The only smoke I ever see from the Kohler Commercial motor is on start up, IF I didn’t allow it to cool down for a minute after my last hard run.
Your oil looks terrible. And their response, is as well. Caldwell got several people in the communication loop and everything was documented in case of issues later.

Last edited:
   / Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #22  
I suspect that the water got into the oil while sitting at the dealership waiting to be sold. the oil would of settled to the bottom of the engine and would not of showed up even if the dealer checked the oil before starting. The issue would of presented itself on first startup when the oil mixed with the water. Takes very little water to turn the oil into cream, so could of even happened in transit to the dealer and unless the dealer turned the engine upside down before filling wouldn't have been able to see the water in the engine, if he had to add oil. Could of came from the OEM with oil installed.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #23  
The take away here is if this reoccurs and does oil consumption continue. Will one oil change get all of the existing water out? No. Another change may be needed. Plus, a crankcase is a living breathing thing. The breather will expel vapors that aren't held into the oil. The breathers can also hold the oil water mix longer inside. That makes it important to run these things until they are at operating temps for a while.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #24  
Definitely water in oil. Wonder how overfull the dipstick would read before emptying. Yes it is the operators responsibility to check but, be serious, it's brand spanking new.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #25  
Possibly a blown head gasket or it might be a cracked head between cylinder and water jacket, allowing water to infiltrate into the crankcase and mix with the oil.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #26  
Possibly a blown head gasket or it might be a cracked head between cylinder and water jacket, allowing water to infiltrate into the crankcase and mix with the oil.
Considering that this machine is an air cooled v-twin, not likely to find a water jacket leaking either from a cracked head or a bad head gasket.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #27  
It is a Kawasaki air cooled engine isn't it? Any other signs of water damage on the mower? Surely appears to be water but does any settle out for you? Most oils will hold up to about 600 ppm in suspension. That is about 0.06%. Oil starts to look visibly milky at about 0.1% and by 1.0%, can seriously affect bearing life. I'm not condoning the dealer's practices but oil will appear milky before it reaches the point of damaging the engine.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #28  
Friend bought a new Husqvarna MZ54. One hour runtime, it starts smoking (blueish) on startup. He check's crankcase oil and its chalky white. Loads it back up and heads to the dealer. He ask the dealer to drain oil so he can view what it looks like. Dealer gets grumpy and says no you can't be back in the shop area. After 10-15 minutes of nonsense, they finally agree to let him stand in the door so he can watch. Oil comes out as you see in the photos (chalky oil - it was like water!). He ask dealer to put some in a bottle he had in his truck and dealer says no. After a few minutes of more nonsense excuses (no funnel, they gotta recycle, etc.) they finally put some in the bottle - please see photos.

Long story short. Dealer says he's seen this before and its fine. Does a quick oil change and wants him to leave. My buddy is a little frustrated his brand new ($5500!) mower blows a puff of smoke upon startup.

What would you guys do? Is my buddy out of line for wanting him to swap mowers or take it back?
FWIW the Huskvarna has a four year warranty. If it was me, I would contact them and see what they advised. I would think a couple of oil changes would likely take care of the issue. The machine probably wasn’t run long enough to sustain any damage. You might also consider adding an some Seafoam to the oil right before a change. We use it in my shop following repairs for a blown head gasket. Good stuff.

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #29  
Friend bought a new Husqvarna MZ54. One hour runtime, it starts smoking (blueish) on startup. He check's crankcase oil and its chalky white. Loads it back up and heads to the dealer. He ask the dealer to drain oil so he can view what it looks like. Dealer gets grumpy and says no you can't be back in the shop area. After 10-15 minutes of nonsense, they finally agree to let him stand in the door so he can watch. Oil comes out as you see in the photos (chalky oil - it was like water!). He ask dealer to put some in a bottle he had in his truck and dealer says no. After a few minutes of more nonsense excuses (no funnel, they gotta recycle, etc.) they finally put some in the bottle - please see photos.

Long story short. Dealer says he's seen this before and its fine. Does a quick oil change and wants him to leave. My buddy is a little frustrated his brand new ($5500!) mower blows a puff of smoke upon startup.

What would you guys do? Is my buddy out of line for wanting him to swap mowers or take it back?

/ Am I crazy? Chalky oil in crankcase - 1 Hr old - Husqvarna ZTR #30  
Your friend has a cracked block/head or blown head gasket that is allowing coolant to get in the oil.