an old welder (with armature)

/ an old welder (with armature) #11  
Some of these old motor generator DC units were horizontal too. looked like mini submarines. All in All they were very noisy but welded as good as anything made today. I remember selling the brushes for these things,, kinda like a hockey puck with a copper wire sticking out of it. I see all of the versions at distributors now and then but no-one buys them. They have 3 x more value as scrap..

/ an old welder (with armature) #12  
Some of these old motor generator DC units were horizontal too. looked like mini submarines. All in All they were very noisy but welded as good as anything made today.
You mean like this? When you turn them on in the morning, you can't hardly hear yourself think! :eek:

Attachments

• SAE 300 electric.jpg
    SAE 300 electric.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 320
   / an old welder (with armature)
Here's some pics of it. Nice that its 220v, and not 3-phase, as I COULD use it if necessary. Here's some pics of it.

IMG_9936.jpg

IMG_9937.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

Why do you suppose the armature is visible?

IMG_9936arma.jpg

One may wonder if the design of this machine was a marketing gimmick to imply superior penetration.:thumbsup:

/ an old welder (with armature) #14  
You mean like this? When you turn them on in the morning, you can't hardly hear yourself think! :eek:

Hahha. There's the Sub.. They look even funnier when on wheels. Nice pic !

/ an old welder (with armature) #15  
One may wonder if the design of this machine was a marketing gimmick to imply superior penetration.

Ha! Good one, love innuendo! You know the Govt. did a lot of experiments on our generation back in the 60's. Lots of wierd logic back then.

/ an old welder (with armature) #16  
I think the vertical one is more .. um... inspiring!:D

/ an old welder (with armature) #17  
I see one sold for $184 at an auction last year.

Definitely a Lincwelder DC250 MK (google images)

I'd like to crank it up sometime though - I like old stuff, trouble is there aren't any 220v outlets (anymore) where this thing is interred,,,,,

Inspiring or optimistic? Think the duty cycle has suffered over the years and if anything can be done about that? Notice its on wheels, and has a towbar - I wonder if anybody has a pic of a guy towing one around. :laughing:

/ an old welder (with armature) #19  
I don't really know if Lincoln made a single phase version or not. I've never used one, except in an industrial setting. Years ago I worked in several Boeing plants, and they had them. The Navy yard in Bremerton use to have them too. All these places had 3-phase, but that doesn't mean these welders were hooked up to 3-phase.

Theres a 3-phase swing crane and a traveling gantry crane nearby (but no outlets!). Could that plug be anything other than 220v single phase?

410460d1423278428-old-welder-armature-img_9942-jpg

Last edited: