an old welder (with armature)

/ an old welder (with armature)
Thanks, that's very interesting. Also is this R2D2 any kind of contender for the title "Cadillac of Welders"?

Copied from "7A749" on WW:

"The amount of current needed to turn the motor that spins the generator in that welder is considerable, and that motor would be impossibly large with huge capacitors if it were single phase. It simply wouldn't be efficient at the size and current input requirements needed to operate it. Three phase motors do not need start capacitors and are far more efficient as far as size to current input requirements go."

This says a lot. But there is a big box on the front that could have start capacitors inside ( ? ).
IMG_9937.jpg

In any case, the singlephase plug looks like it was used, a LOT.

Makes sense that the output of this welder is simply whatever is transmitted thru that motor shaft, ie whatever power the motor can produce. What if the welder was simply unable to output full capacity on singlephase, could it weld @ 200A? (Note: sitting in the rod holder tubes are some 3/16" rods).

/ an old welder (with armature) #32  
Also is this R2D2 any kind of contender for the title "Cadillac of Welders"?
Oh they are very nice welders, have a very smooth arc. :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

/ an old welder (with armature) #33  
Sodo -

Electrical Service Types and Voltages | Continental Control Systems

Go down about 2/3 of the page, and check out "Three Phase Two Wire Corner-Grounded Delta"

If your crowfoot plug is wired with the blade that's normally used for a ground as phase B, the welder could have been used as 3 phase - I'm not sure this is even allowed by NEC anymore, but it was done.

It might even TRY to run if plugged into a dryer outlet, but the typical 40 amp breaker would probably last about 30 milliseconds trying to make it go :confused:... Steve

/ an old welder (with armature) #34  
Sodo - Electrical Service Types and Voltages | Continental Control Systems Go down about 2/3 of the page, and check out "Three Phase Two Wire Corner-Grounded Delta" If your crowfoot plug is wired with the blade that's normally used for a ground as phase B, the welder could have been used as 3 phase - I'm not sure this is even allowed by NEC anymore, but it was done. It might even TRY to run if plugged into a dryer outlet, but the typical 40 amp breaker would probably last about 30 milliseconds trying to make it go :confused:... Steve

I think Steve is right. I can recall some three phase motors on our potato pilers having 3 prong plugs. (a long, long time ago)

Terry

OK so the motor could rotate on single-phase but with only one phase it can't possibly produce any power. Thanks Steve that's conclusive info. And thanks to Shield Arc for referring to 7A749 on WeldingWeb who says no chance in heck that skinny motor is single phase.

Well that pretty much settles it. I have 3 phase but no "outlets", but if I had one, I'd have to try it…! However would not take the effort to wire up an old-school outlet, so its crossed off my list (if it ever was on the list). I'll just consider it 'interred' where it sits, or inturd? :D

Last edited:
   / an old welder (with armature) #36  
Geez, Sodo - you sure give up easy these days - for only 12 times the cost of a brand new Trailblazer you could buy a railroad surplus 3 phase genny that'd run that thing, or nearly anything else you want - what the heck happened to that adventurous soul we've come to know and tolerate??!? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Steve

tolerate??!?
Steve is there really nothing around there that can be polished? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just going down to look at that thing was about as adventurous as I need to get in that regards. Haven't had any welding needs that I don't already have the eqpt for. Except I have a longstanding need for a TIG.

But I'm currently thinking of exploding either tires or air tanks..

Last edited:
   / an old welder (with armature) #38  
Dunno about polishing - maybe sanding, or drilling pocket holes - this pull-up staircase I'm almost done with has 527 pocket holes total, 4 full sheets of 3/4 ply, and weighs about 240 pounds total - with the 3-1/2" ribs under each tread there's zero give, and the double thickness of 3/4 glu-lammed risers flex just under 1/8" when I bounce on the middle. The mezzanine is 1-1/8 T&G ply over 2x12's, so I wanted it to not sag with me and as much as I can carry up or down - think I pulled it off :laughing:...Steve

Attachments

• DSCN1610.JPG
    DSCN1610.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN1603.JPG
    DSCN1603.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN1592.JPG
    DSCN1592.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 161
I have to be careful building storage I just gather more stuff. Now thats a nice piece of furniture. Howcum you railroaded most of the treads? And ain't that Dewalt Jigsaw about the best $115 ever spent?

/ an old welder (with armature) #40  
Railroaded - not a term I've heard before??!?