Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
Has anyone experienced this with Andersen products? I'm reading that it's fairly common, unfortunately. I don't know the exact date of the sliding door, but I think the addition the previous owner had done was in 97 where this door is located. Anyways, I just noticed this when I went to slide the screen door shut and it got hung up. Upon further inspection, I noticed, that it's pretty bad (see pictures below). I know it's out of warranty, and I'm not really wanting to have to replace the whole door. I wonder if there is a way to just reclad these two sections?

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you end up doing?

P6Q41NY.jpg

TpJXS7J.jpg

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #2  
This is probably not much help, but our Anderson french doors did the same, but during the warranty period. I filed the claim with Anderson, and so did the contractor. Contractor picked up doors from the lumber yard, and there were two sets of doors. He said he only needed one set. Lumber yard said, they sent two sets, take them. I still have one set in my garage, if it should happen again.

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #3  
I tried to use the warranty on ours, they would only completely remove the doors and I believe they said it would take days to re-install.. then only pro rated.. I was going to sell anyway, so I used adhesive and white silicone.. not happy with Andersen...

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #4  
There is a small stamp on the corner of the glass.. has the Andersen logo on it as well. Take a pic with your cell phone and blow it up..the date the unit was manufacturered is stamped on it.

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off
There is a small stamp on the corner of the glass.. has the Andersen logo on it as well. Take a pic with your cell phone and blow it up..the date the unit was manufacturered is stamped on it.

1st quarter 1996.

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off
I have Andersen 400 series speced out for our new build, too. Hmmm.

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #7  
I have had Anderson doors in a house since 1994 no problems. They were triples morning sun. Still in the house to this day although I moved in 2006. Over the past 10 years I have put in 5 400 series sliders still happy customer in the home we are in now

Last edited:
   / Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #8  
...I wonder if there is a way to just reclad these two sections?...

A siding/aluminum contractor can probably break white enameled aluminum and encase the jambs etc...

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #9  
I have Andersen windows and doors on a "3 season room" at my house which were there when I bought it. One of the doors had some of the cladding peeling. The door was just under 10 years old and Andersen replaced it. Now, 8 years later, the new one is peeling again, as well as one of the others. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. This is happening only to the doors that face west and get very hot in the summer. In general I like Andersen products. I have two sliders that don't get the extreme sun and they have no issues. Also no problems with the windows, just those two doors in extreme heating conditions.

/ Andersen Slider - Cladding Peeling Off #10  
When I built my PanAbode home here in '82, I added one window that was not part of the PanAbode package. Its an Anderson - crank out window. Its still in great shape. This window faces toward the NE and never gets the heat of the afternoon sun.