angle grinder question

/ angle grinder question #31  
I do however thoroughly blow them clean after usage.

I don't know how anyone does without a good air-compressor. Any and every time I use my mower, string trimmer, drills, saws, grinders, even my electric razor when I shave, I thoroughly blow them clean. We have 4 different kinds of vacuum cleaners, so they only get the compressed air cleaning when they are emptied.

/ angle grinder question #32  
the truth is about power tools if it is made in China stay away. Zero quality control, that is why some love them others hate them no in between. Dewalt (Black& Decker in a yellow housing) was made in the United States same as Milwaukee, Proter-Cable are now all made in China. I do not know of any power tools made in the United States. I buy German, they cost more but still are made with pride and are consistently good.

/ angle grinder question #33  
the truth is about power tools if it is made in China stay away.
One doesn't necessarily have to stay away ... just have open eyes going in ...

Zero quality control, that is why some love them others hate them no in between.
Dunno if it's zero ... but it doesn't appear to be very consistent at times ...

Dewalt (Black& Decker in a yellow housing) was made in the United States same as Milwaukee, Proter-Cable are now all made in China. I do not know of any power tools made in the United States.
Really ?

DEWALT Tools of the Brave | Built in the USA

... lol ...

/ angle grinder question #34  
Only two post with Metabo? As noted everyone you would think had a US made label no longer does. You get what you pay for .if in your twenties get a Metabo. If you are short on time go to harbor freight. nobody is gonna be here forever.

/ angle grinder question #35  
My uncles swear by Metabo... not swear at.

It is a very popular pro brand in Europe...

/ angle grinder question #36  
Wonder how many folks are aware that Metabo has a factory in ... (wait for it) ... Shanghai ...

:rolleyes:

/ angle grinder question #37  
One doesn't necessarily have to stay away ... just have open eyes going in ...

Dunno if it's zero ... but it doesn't appear to be very consistent at times ...

Really ?

DEWALT Tools of the Brave | Built in the USA

... lol ...

I guess the new "built in the USA" is in away correct as it does not say "manufactured in the USA" all manufacturing was moved off shore the "manufacturing plants" they list were the Black&Decker plants because DeWalt was a name only. It's head quarters was in Hampstead Maryland which was at one time a manufacturing plant, I worked there for 2 years before transferring to the Towson Maryland corporate head quarters which was and is the development engineering location. I worked on the development of the DeWalt line of tools, while some were actually new products the majority were B&D with yellow housings. The Kentucky plant was an accessory plant making saw blades ,drills bits and the like. The FAQ part of the link is typical half truths, 3. "What are the other U.S. factory locations?
DEWALT has manufacturing plants in Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and Connecticut."
The Plants in Maryland are closed for manufacturing. Maybe Stanley is going to open some back for manufacturing, I hope so but doubt it.
Another funny answer is
"7. Why are only cordless products being built in the USA? Why only specific voltages?
We feel like there are opportunities to offer users a cordless option for products built in the USA with global materials because our 18V and 20V product lines make up majority of the market in the United States." They never could claim the higher voltage cordless tools were USA because the extra batteries ran the % of USA components over the "made in USA" limit.
I worked for B&D for 22 years at the Towson engineering group, The DeWalt line was thought up there and the ruse that it was an independent company was played out because B&D had a bad name with professionals because of their cheap consumer line. B&D had bought the original DeWalt company years before, they made stationary tools and were famous for their radial arm saws and highly respected among the pros. Read the FAQ's
"19. How many jobs will be created with this new initiative?
Production of DEWALT products that are built in the USA with global materials at the Charlotte manufacturing operations facility will help boost the local economy in the Carolinas and create more than 250 new jobs." not much more then an assembly line when I was with B&D the clock numbers were up to the 10,000 number and climbing until they went off shore.
As far as China's quality control, just read reviews about their products very few are consistent some work reasonably well, most fail. Read some reviews from Harbor Freight typical: 'Unit did not work returned it after several returns I got one that works'

/ angle grinder question #38  
is it one of those 'assembled in use' from parts made in china?

:)

/ angle grinder question #39  
I have one DeWalt 4.5" grinder and 3 from HF plus one 7" grinder. One of the HF grinders has a slide switch as does the Dewalt. The other 2 are both the higher priced paddle switch type. Only the white and orange colored one is really underpowered enough that you can tell if with a grinder blade. Put a brush on and you can tell who has the bigger motor.
I find them all to work well enough for my uses. Like any electric motor, you must never stall them done, if you do it is going to let the magic smoke out and they they wont work. If you are stalling your 4-5" grinder, possibly you need to move up to a 7" grinder. I put a 9" blade on mine, sans guard which I don't like to do, but it turns it with all the power I need.

My brother gave me a whole box of 9" Pipeliner blades that he picked up off the right of way after the welders moved thru. They use a blade once then change it out. Most are 8" in diameter and some are brand new just thrown down and left.
If a pipe line is going thru your area, get out there before the backfill crew comes and you can gather up a truck load of slightly used to new grinder blades and wheel brushes. My Dad did the same thing back in the 70's and never had to buy another grinder blade or wheel brush the rest of his life.

/ angle grinder question #40  
I have had tremendous luck with Bosch. I am a big fan and feel I have gotten my money's worth out of every purchase. Not the cheapest, but worth every penny.