Another 32x40 pole barn project

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #1  

rogerius

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HST
After two years of indecision, last week we start building our pole barn. I was looking for a while for somebody to build for us at a reasonable cost but didn't find. The quotes which i received were everywhere from 28k to 58k; yes, 58K. Based on this we decided to build it ourselves and we started last week. It'll be a 32'x40', 11' tall with a lean on one side with 2 garage doors, service door and windows.

How I mentioned already, we started last week and mother nature cooperated with us: no wind, no rain an ideal weather to build. The lumber was delivered as promised and was 4000$CAD. Very impress with a supplier as we found one pole cracked and they replaced in the same day even they are located at 60Km away from us.
Working with my son couple days and then with my wife, I consider that we did a lot for 5 days of work. We are able to drill 24 holes with a 18" auger, pour the footings(we mixed in a wheelbarrow around 90 bags of cement), align, and install the poles, attached the girds and one side of header plated.
Being weekend warriors we are going back this weekend to finalize the framing as the trusses will be delivered in two weeks at a cost of 1600CAD, and the metal with garage doors at 5000CAD. If I'm adding all the costs without our labour, the total will be around 11K, so not sure how somebody can justify 28K or 58K for this barn :confused:

Here are couple pictures and more will follow.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 761
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 700
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 1,972
  • Plans.JPG
    Plans.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 562
   / Another 32x40 pole barn project #2  
Looks great! You are well on your way. Did you have someone draw up the plans for you or did you do them yourself?

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #3  
We're not ready for a barn yet, but I agree, pricing is ALL over the place....however, I don't have your skillset either! Looks nice, keep the pics coming!

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #4  
That is an impressive output! When I built mine I notched out the top 1.5"and put doubled up, staggered 2x12 on the sides and 2x10 with 1/2" plywood sandwich on the ends and bolted them through the notched 6x6. After that I installed a cap board all around to make truss marking and placement neat and easy. Having the cap on the pole the load on top of the 6x6, and secured wood-->wood, so fasteners hold in place, but don't actually bear the load. I notice it looks like your roof (to date) will be physically supported by scabbed up pieces... there are probably lag or carriage bolts I can't see in your pictures, but it looks as though those bolts will be the main thing holding up the roof (girds), unless you plan on capping the works after pole cut-off... I know my build was insanely overbuilt, but I tried to ensure fasteners weren't ever truly bearing any load, so much as keeping the wood in place. When the labor gets figured in the cost will go way up! Looks beautiful so far--nice job!

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #5  
I agree with brown40. Notching the top of the post so at least one of your beams can rest on solid wood would be the minimum. I prefer to notch it so both boards are resting on the post and then add another smaller board for the siding.

What are your distances between the posts? If 8 ft, I would have used 16 ft long boards and staggered the seems.

As it is now, you should not proceed with the trusses until you have your beams strong enough to last.

From what else I see, it looks like you are doing a good job

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #6  
I went out and snapped some pics since I don't always describe things effectively. I used plywood which stiffened the structure, but still braced corner to corner--not needed I understand, but made me feel better--more insurance. The bracing obscures the bottom of the notch, but you can get the idea. I left 1.5" of the girds and headers proud to match the purlins/siding/greenhouse panels, but should have sunk both in like Eddie described. Not concerned about it, but would've been that much stronger, and the panels got in the way of tying gird to purlin when it got to that stage anyway... lots of lessons learned! IMG_0285.JPGIMG_0288.JPGIMG_0282.JPG

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project
Had some time to work at the barn, so it was a full working weekend. At the end, I can say that we are almost ready to lift the trusses as soon it'll arrive.. Thanks to all for all the advice and here are couple responses:
- I drawn the plans myself.
- I was thinking to notch the poles to receive the 2x12 but the inspector said it will be okay with carriage bolts and a plate under, so to save some time I listen him.
- the distance between the poles is 8ft.
As a note, I'll not believe when somebody will say that he build the barn himself. That I can't see be possible; just 2 hands is not enough. It'll require minimum 2 persons, in special for long boards.

Here are more pictures:

Attachments

• 1-32.jpg
    1-32.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 977
  • 1-33.JPG
    1-33.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 654
   / Another 32x40 pole barn project #8  
Had some time to work at the barn, so it was a full working weekend. At the end, I can say that we are almost ready to lift the trusses as soon it'll arrive.. Thanks to all for all the advice and here are couple responses:
- I drawn the plans myself.
- I was thinking to notch the poles to receive the 2x12 but the inspector said it will be okay with carriage bolts and a plate under, so to save some time I listen him.
- the distance between the poles is 8ft.
As a note, I'll not believe when somebody will say that he build the barn himself. That I can't see be possible; just 2 hands is not enough. It'll require minimum 2 persons, in special for long boards.

Here are more pictures:

Its definitely difficult to do with just two hands and a tractor, but a good slide and grip knot like a midshipman's hitch or prusik knot will slide when unloaded, and bind when loaded to hold anything in place long enough to fasten it--tying one-handed can be challenging. The trusses and girds were my biggest challenges, as there was nothing above them to rig to. Fortunately the top notch on the poles gave me a shelf to rest against for the girds, and the cap afterwards allowed easy placement of the trusses, with a hurricane tie to keep one side in place. I agree you need something on the other end of the long stuff to keep it from falling or shifting around--difficult, time-consuming and strenuous--but not impossible.
The barn looks great so far, and I'm glad the inspector approved of the scabs--I suspect your finish will be superior having DIY looking at the work so far... you'll know exactly what everything is, what was used, and where.

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #9  
Lots of hard work is really paying off.

/ Another 32x40 pole barn project #10  

I built mine myself, including putting up the 30' trusses by myself, and my tractor. it's not always easy, but do able. For long boards you sometimes have to nail up a temporary board, like a saddle, to hold the other end in place. You place one end in the saddle, and then you put up the other end.

6build.jpg