Another large yard project completed by a BX2230

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230
Re: Seed Distribution

I went over and over and over and over and over the whole yard in several different directions with a tow behind seeder. Figured I didn't care if I was making a few extra figure eights in the yard with a beer in my hand, so I took my time. There are some spots that didn't take because of the settings I had on the sprinkler heads before I fine-fine-tuned them (couldn't see the deficiency until the seed germinated), but overall coverage has been exceptional.

Re: Shade Mix

I actually did buy a wonderfully expensive shade mix from Lesco for under my tree canopy. At $140 per 50#, I really hope I don't have any issues in the spring. Put another way: I had better not have an issues!

Around the house, along the road, and in other high-sun areas, I put down a $90 per 50# mix, also from Lesco. For areas where I wasn't sure what would take best, I put both mixes down.

The germination rate has been quite good. I applied a solid 8# to 10# of seed per 1,000 sf and applied starter fertilizer at a similar rate. I've been very pleased by how well it has bound to soil that wasn't even particularly soft when I applied the seed. As I said before, I am now battling a few wet spots where the grass is getting choked out and also a small leaf issue. The seed was of very high quality and weed free. I am very pleased with it.

Just wanted to encourage someone out there...GRASS IS POSSIBLE! If I can grow it, anyone can.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #32  
Wow. Looks awesome.

I was inspired by your landscaping project and it almost talked me into buying a hoe. Next year is landscaping for me and I haven't quite decided if I should get a hoe, contract out or rent a TLB. I'm not generally a DIYer but hey... I do have a tractor... bet I can dig up the existing crappy flower bed and re-do it MUCH easier with a hoe than I ever could with my FEL.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting a box blade. Do you have a top-n-tilt setup or do you manually adjust your toplink?

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #34  
asylum575 said:
Nice lawn Kevin. I'm looking forward to my BX24 delivery. I have a list of projects in store for it. I hope to finish my windows and siding by the Thanksgiving. It's getting kinda cold at night. Last night dipped to low 30s. I figure I should just have enough seat time to get familiar with the machine. Spring 08 should be busy.
Once again Nice lawn

Ed
Probably worse than you think.
Them tractors have a way of putting you to work.

I just bought 2 BX1500s so it looks like i'm really in for it.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #35  
asylum575 said:
Nice lawn Kevin. I'm looking forward to my BX24 delivery. I have a list of projects in store for it. I hope to finish my windows and siding by the Thanksgiving. It's getting kinda cold at night. Last night dipped to low 30s. I figure I should just have enough seat time to get familiar with the machine. Spring 08 should be busy.
Once again Nice lawn

Ed
Ya gotta watch them list.
Once you get one they never go away,
I still have mine from 2004 when I got my bx23.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230
canoetrpr said:
Do you have a top-n-tilt setup or do you manually adjust your toplink?

Thank you all for your positive comments.

Re: Hydraulics:

I wish I had a hydraulic setup. It would be SOOO easy to add now that I have the hydraulics run to the rear of the tractor for the BH. Guess I've been too busy in the yard to consider it.

Winter is creeping in and I think I may be able to do a few things in the garage, this project among them. As much as I LOVE my BoxBlade, its utility would be further enhanced by this addition.

Re: Boxblade:

But even without this setup, I would strongly recommend the purchase of a BoxBlade. I put it up there with the FEL as a tractoring "essential". Even if used as nothing more than ballast, it has made many a job easier.

Re: Backhoe:

It is one of those things that may end up in the garage, disconnected from your tractor for a month or two waiting for a project. But if you plan on doing ANY type of landscaping work, it is a MUST HAVE. Just get it before you do your first project, then consider how much you would have paid someone else do do the same work. It will pay for itself quickly.

Thinking back on my flower bed project, I could not imagine doing that with only the FEL. Sure, I could have moved the clay out and the topsoil in without much delay, but the real positive came when transplanting existing trees into hardpan and making 15 gallon holes for the new trees. Digging a few of those holes with a shovel would have taken a good chunk of time and a lot of energy...with the BH, it takes 15 minutes while sipping your Latte. The very reason I finished the project in ~16 hours WORKING ALONE instead of it spanning several weekends.

I'll always advocate the BH purchase. If you plan on doing stuff yourself, it is as fundamental to these tractors as the FEL and BoxBlade.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #37  
LBrown59 said:
Don't forger to have lots of fun with new BX 24 when ya get it !

Agree! Loads of fun:D :D :D
Today I just recived my package from Bro-Tek, thumb, front and rear skidplates! Havent got the tractor yet;) Top man Richard at Bro-Tek.
/Sam

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #38  
KeithInSpace said:
Re: Backhoe:
It is one of those things that may end up in the garage, disconnected from your tractor for a month or two waiting for a project.
But if you plan on doing ANY type of landscaping work, it is a MUST HAVE. Just get it before you do your first project, then consider how much you would have paid someone else do do the same work. It will pay for itself quickly.

I'll always advocate the BH purchase. If you plan on doing stuff yourself,
it is as fundamental to these tractors as the FEL and BoxBlade.

Never had that problem:
That's why the BH has never been off my BX23.
Keep it to busy to take it off.

Exactly why i recommend the BX23/24 over the BX2230/2350.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #39  
samofsweden said:
Agree! Loads of fun:D :D :D
Today I just recived my package from Bro-Tek, thumb, front and rear skidplates! Havent got the tractor yet;) Top man Richard at Bro-Tek.
/Sam
Just bought 2 BX1500s - should add bunches more fun to the BX23.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #40  
KeithInSpace said:
Re: Boxblade:
But even without this setup, I would strongly recommend the purchase of a BoxBlade. I put it up there with the FEL as a tractoring "essential". Even if used as nothing more than ballast, it has made many a job easier.

Trying to figure out where to best spend my money. Ideally it is better spent on stuff that hooks up to the tractor rather than the tractor itself as I think that I will trade in a couple years (one reason I've been pushing off on getting rear remotes and a BH installed).

I imagine then that you are probably manually adjusting your rippers (or top-link) after you have ripped to level?

I've never used a BB. How much effort is it to manually adjust the rippers anyway - is it one at a time?... sorry if these questions sound dumb.