Another plow setup question

/ Another plow setup question #81  
I dont umderstand how your links come tight and stop downward movement?

I'm simply saying a properly adjusted plow will tend to go deeper. The tractor will limit that. If you are not regulating the depth with tractor 3pt settings and it doesn't try to go deeper, something is out of adjustment.

I think by now most followers of this discussion have decided they have nothing more to offer.

Someone earlier suggested visiting with a local farmer so they get a visual. I agree.

/ Another plow setup question
ovrszd, does it appear to you that my plow is too deep in this picture? If it is, that would seem to explain the extreme pull to the left and my need to attempt to try again with draft control instead of purchasing new parts first. I unfortunately dont have anyone local that I can talk to about this.

20160322_184034.jpg

/ Another plow setup question #83  
ovrszd, does it appear to you that my plow is too deep in this picture? If it is, that would seem to explain the extreme pull to the left and my need to attempt to try again with draft control instead of purchasing new parts first. I unfortunately dont have anyone local that I can talk to about this.

View attachment 463168
Is there more than one hole on the right side of the plow for the 3 point hitch pin?

If I zoom in on the picture it looks like there is 2 holes. If there is you need to move the pin back at least one hole.

Most of the plows I have seen have a round bar instead of square tubing and you can adjust the left to right travel of the plow by rotating it.

Moving the pin back one hole would cause the plow to track more to the right.

Is there more than one hole on the right side of the plow for the 3 point hitch pin?

If I zoom in on the picture it looks like there is 2 holes. If there is you need to move the pin back at least one hole.

Most of the plows I have seen have a round bar instead of square tubing and you can adjust the left to right travel of the plow by rotating it.

Moving the pin back one hole would cause the plow to track more to the right.

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thats the one adjustment i havent tried changing since i had these issues. There are 3 holes that I have the choice of putting the lift pin in, and I am currently set up with it in the furthest hole forward.

/ Another plow setup question #85  
Hard to see in those pics but is there a landslide on that plow?

/ Another plow setup question #86  
Doesn't look too deep to me. And I see no evidence of a hardpan preventing the plow from going deeper. And you are saying the tractor is doing nothing to hold it from going deeper??

If so, that makes no sense.

As to the pin position. Moving the furrow side pin rearward will make your problem of left drift worse.

/ Another plow setup question #87  
Sent you a PM.

Hard to see in those pics but is there a landslide on that plow?

Yes, there's a landslide on the rear. It's a bar style landslide, not a wheel.

Doesn't look too deep to me. And I see no evidence of a hardpan preventing the plow from going deeper. And you are saying the tractor is doing nothing to hold it from going deeper??

If so, that makes no sense.

As to the pin position. Moving the furrow side pin rearward will make your problem of left drift worse.

Between all the passes I've made with the plow attempting to plow and attempting to set up, it's only ever try going too deep on me once and my tires spun so I pulled it up slightly and it kept going good again. Other than that, it hasnt attempted to go too deep on to cause an issue. And my left tire is in somewhat decent shape, but my right tire is practically bald, I need a new one bad. So that should really show how it hasn't gone deep enough to cause an issue. I didn't pay attention before, but maybe my r pt was bottoming out or possibly the chains were stopping it.

Tonight I attempted another pass again. For starters, I lowered the left lift arm to 7 inches below the left pin with the plow on flat ground, and set the position control lock nut to that location to eliminate the plowing too deep issue as being my problem. I gave it a go with 12 inches from the right pin to the mast. Within 3 feet, it immediately went all the way to the left again.

I then moved the right pin to the middle hole and gave it another pass ok new ground. Still went to the left.

I then left the pin in the same middle hole, and moved the draw bar as far to the left as it would go. I tried again. This time, the chains maxed out and the plow pretty much stayed with the top link straight. It was slightly angle to the left, but not much at all. I only got to try one pass with it cause it started downpouring, but it's definitely the best I've had it so far.

I wouldnt call my problem solved yet, as the chains and draw.bar being slammed all the way to the left is the only reason it's staying mostly straight now.if I were to guess, I'd say I've gone from missing 6 inches of ground down to missing maybe only an inch now.

Last edited:
   / Another plow setup question #89  
Have you had a chance to try the plow again?