Another try at new tractor

/ Another try at new tractor #1  

southernboy

As I stated in my previous posts my 2005 John deere 4702 is having issues that a good mechanic could probably fix ( except the problem with loader mounting holes) if I could find one..The 2 I used to use have totally retired. The two nearby dealers have both messed up repairs ( tractor lost a fuel injector. Didn't run right after replacement. They replaced the turbo, fuel pump, added a fuel filter and spent 3 months in shop. Turned out the mechanic didn't see the new injector had different specs. To their credit they ate the whole bill. The other did some work and replaced the loader hydraulic lines improperly. When I picked it up and tested it the dump function was dumping the bucket at full up curl. He insisted that was operator error. I swapped the hoses and it worked properly.) Anyway I am looking again. Was kind of locked on a kubota M6060. Found a 2018 at a good price but no loader. Dealer said they can't get them right now. Started looking at MF 4707. Awesome tractor but probably to big and heavy for me and to expensive. As you all know no one has any inventory and what there is has the covid markup. Now I just found a Branson 5835r open station with loader, 3rd function ,rimguard for 31000. I'll be looking at it Tuesday ( they are closed for the holidays). I can't much info on this model. Any insights? I have 20 a of fields to bushhog, 60 of game cut deer woods ( cut 2 years ago) to clear or pile scag, maintain roads and food plots and a hunting lease to do the same on. The way things are going in the market now it seems if you delay its gone. The branson seems to have a lot of nice features and an awesome loader for its size. I know the 6060 is bigger and that could be good or bad and I have to find one. As a side note the dealer said there will be a 70hp branson this fall probably in mid 30's base cost.

/ Another try at new tractor #2  
I hope Branson does come out with a 70hp unit. Branson does make a good tractor. Good luck and let us know what you think.

/ Another try at new tractor #3  
Reading some comments online, mostly on Branson Facebook groups, the owners are very happy with that tractor.

The first ones had some issues with the forward/reverse clutch packs engaging too hard, but it's to my understanding that the new ones are already fixed and the older ones are getting updated transmission control modules, so Branson did take care of that right away.

/ Another try at new tractor #4  
My Opinion Buy the Kubota and don't look back, Just had the same problems with availability of the m6060 the whole tractor though. They made sure I was serious about trading/buying after just a few emails and 2 visits and they had me a whole unit in a week from another dealers inventory. It was still in the crate and the loader and tires were shipped separately with it. Another week of assembly and it was ready to roll .

Last edited:
   / Another try at new tractor
That is a good point. I may give the dealer with the 6060 a call. See if they can't dig up a loader. i will go see the 5835r though. It looks nice and I can drive it. The other factor is the Branson is new and the Kubota is a 2018 for basically the same money. The m6060 is a bigger machine but the branson specs say it will lift more and with filled tires weighs in near 8000 pounds and only 8 hp smaller.

/ Another try at new tractor #6  
Even if they can’t get a loader now doesn’t mean never. I have been waiting on a subframe and backhoe for 7 months there is a global shortage of hydraulic cylinders as was told to me buy a few people I know on the hydraulic industry

/ Another try at new tractor #7  
I would never suggest you buy a tractor these days without a loader and take a chance that a loader for that machine may magically show up in short order.

It could take a year, or even two before the supply chain returns to normal. Meanwhile, you’re stuck with a partially useless tractor.

Fix what you have and move on. The issues you have had really don’t seem that debilitating. Unpleasant, yes, debilitating, no, and there’s no guarantee you won’t have similar issues with a different machine.

/ Another try at new tractor #8  
IMO - with the scenerios that you have described / encountered, I think that your first step is to find a reasonably local Dealer that you are comfortable with, and who you can rely onion for knowledgeable information, and skilled service. Good relationship connections with the Dealership is critical, particularly if this is your bread and butter career.

Then, you can go tractor shopping with confidence.

If you still can't find a decent tractor with loader for your needs, then the used market classifieds may be a good choice. Either way, the dealership connection will prove valuable. I also agree that getting the loader and the tractor together as a solid unit will save time, effort (of a loader search) and the hit & miss aggravation of such a search.

When you say that the 2 tractor mechanics that you knew have both "totally retired", does that mean that they are completely outside of anything to do with the career that they retired from ? I get the feeling that once a tractor guy, always a tractor guy. Here, the local guy retired about 4 yrs ago, he sold the business (which I had seriously considered purchasing), and now he is semi-retired and working casually from the shop on his peoperty, taking a good percentage of his clientelle list as his hobby-list (so much for my non-competition clause). Worth it to maybe check with those retired guys and see what they suggest.

all the best

/ Another try at new tractor
Both men are in their 70's and no longer do any tractor work. The dealers here do not have any reliable mechanics or reputations . My county is becoming more and more suburbia and there are almost no real farmers any more. If I could find a good mechanic I would consider spending up to 10 grand to rebuild my JD 4720. The biggest concern is the broken metal around the loader mounting holes. No local welders are willing to attempt to fix it because of danger of cracking the engine block/ hydro case. Looking at the 2021 Branson 5835r today.

/ Another try at new tractor #10  
Go look at the Branson. If you like it buy it!

I looked at them and liked them a lot a little over a year ago with a guy who lives local. He purchased and has been very pleased with it. No issues and he works it hard.