Answer me this...

/ Answer me this...
I could never acquire a taste for horseradish. My mom used to slice fresh radish from the garden and put it in the dinner salad. I thought that tasted like crap as well. It ruined an already questionable side dish. Even my dog, who would eat everything, would only lick off the ranch dressing and leave the evidence on the floor me to explain to mom.
I agree with you on the radish slices from the garden on salad. Never liked it myself.

For whatever reason, I just like something to "clean the nostriles" out with every once in a while LOL

Easter weekend for Russians was a pretty big deal for me as a child growing up. We'd bring home the Paska (bread) and kielbasa along with ham and other things blessed by the priest after the procession around the church, and dig in when we got home. My mom made some great horserashish. Wasn't to strong, but just enough to make your eyes water and kind of clean out your nose.

Looked online, looked something like this...

russian-hren-recipe

Have to laugh, kind of no different than having some decent wasabi on sashimi.

Either with sausage or fish, sometimes I'd get carried away with the "condiment" and it looks like I'm ready to die which always made my boys laugh LOL

Last edited:
   / Answer me this... #132  
I sometimes add a little horseradish to the Miracle Whip on my sandwich, just to change it up a bit.
Growing up we used it as a side condiment with Saturday night baked beans. I have a patch started but never get around to digging it in the fall. It always seems a lot easier to pick up a bottle at the store.

/ Answer me this... #133  
I agree with you on the radish slices from the garden on salad. Never liked it myself.

For whatever reason, I just like something to "clean the nostriles" out with every once in a while LOL

Easter weekend for Russians was a pretty big deal for me as a child growing up. We'd bring home the Paska (bread) and kielbasa along with ham and other things blessed by the priest after the procession around the church, and dig in when we got home. My mom made some great horserashish. Wasn't to strong, but just enough to make your eyes water and kind of clean out your nose.

Looked online, looked something like this...

russian-hren-recipe

Have to laugh, kind of no different than having some decent wasabi on sashimi.

Either with sausage or fish, sometimes I'd get carried away with the "condiment" and it looks like I'm ready to die which always made my boys laugh LOL
Pictures of the rhen recipe look appetizing. Looks very much like red cabbage sauerkraut.
This a copy from the health link you posted :
Horseradish extract has antimutagenic effects meaning that whenever there is a mutation in the DNA that induces cancer, horseradish extract has proven to eliminate the oxidative agents that cause that mutation and have direct antimutagenic effects on the DNA. (5)

On the other hand, radish, specifically radish leaves, have anti-tumor effects that induce apoptosis of cancer cells; (programmed cell death of cancer cells). (6)
Now that is some health reasons to help acquire a new taste! Wow!

/ Answer me this...
Pictures of the rhen recipe look appetizing. Looks very much like red cabbage sauerkraut.
This a copy from the health link you posted :
Horseradish extract has antimutagenic effects meaning that whenever there is a mutation in the DNA that induces cancer, horseradish extract has proven to eliminate the oxidative agents that cause that mutation and have direct antimutagenic effects on the DNA. (5)

On the other hand, radish, specifically radish leaves, have anti-tumor effects that induce apoptosis of cancer cells; (programmed cell death of cancer cells). (6)
Now that is some health reasons to help acquire a new taste! Wow!
My wife went through a double mastectomy years ago for one lump found because it's what the medical profession suggested (and she went along because we were both scared crapless at the time).

My wife has a very analytical brain (comes with her job which she's good at). She will be the first to tell you that after the procedure was done on herself, she wished she would of done more sutdying on the suject because she would have done things differently. Cancer is a big business in the medical profession from start to finish, and holistic medicine along with eating the right foods has no market share in the conventional medical community regulated by the AMA and FDA. Drugs is where it's at because it's big money.

See, when the OP derails a thread, it's ok 😁

/ Answer me this... #135  
Fresh radish is tasty. We eat them whole. Wash them good. Slice off the stem and root. Put them in a tub of water and chill them in the fridge. Great snack. Just don't burp around anyone.

As for horse radish...

I like prepared horse radish. A spoonful on the side at holidays with ham, roast beef, etc., is fantastic.

Fresh horse radish raw would be kill most people.

I'll post a link to youtube search of the Devonshire Idiot and Co. horseradish root challenge. It comes up as the first video. Full of foul language and graphic reaction as one idiot attempts to eat a raw horseradish root. So do not play it if you or anyone around you would be offended by foul language or graphic images.

I enjoyed the idiots suffering. Better him than me.

/ Answer me this... #136  
My wife went through a double mastectomy years ago for one lump found because it's what the medical profession suggested (and she went along because we were both scared crapless at the time).

My wife has a very analytical brain (comes with her job which she's good at). She will be the first to tell you that after the procedure was done on herself, she wished she would of done more sutdying on the suject because she would have done things differently. Cancer is a big business in the medical profession from start to finish, and holistic medicine along with eating the right foods has no market share in the conventional medical community regulated by the AMA and FDA. Drugs is where it's at because it's big money.

See, when the OP derails a thread, it's ok 😁
I’m very sorry to hear about your wife’s health challenges. I’m glad she is still with you. I hope her quality of life is good! (y)

/ Answer me this... #137  
I always mix some horseradish in with the red sauce for shrimp and oysters. Most remoulade sauce can use a little more horseradish too.

Best remoulade I’ve ever had is the house made at the Ragin Cajun in Houston.

/ Answer me this... #138  
Nothing goes better on Kielbasa than good strong horsh radish "mustard". Inglehoffer isn't bad, but nothing use to beat my mom's old recipe.

/ Answer me this... #139  
Nothing goes better on Kielbasa than good strong horsh radish "mustard". Inglehoffer isn't bad, but nothing use to beat my mom's old recipe.
Horseradish mom syle is GREAT!
Brown seed mustard is GREAT!
Kimchi my style is to die for!

yum!