Any dog breeders amongst us?

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
I recently lost my 10 1/2 year golden. I am about to move out to our land if it ever stops raining long enough to build a septic system.

I was thinking about starting a small breeding operation. NOT A PUPPY FACTORY. I would like to contribute to a breed. Not looking for profit, but I would like to break even if possible.

Can anyone give any recommendations?
Number of dogs needed?
Best type of Kennel/compound to reduce maintenance?
Where to find good breedstock?
How much should I expect to spend?

Any info or leads with real world practical experience is appreciated. I have a good low cost vet only 2 blocks away.

Kyle

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #2  
Sorry you lost your dog. We have large dogs and I wish they lived as long as the little ones.

If you want to contribute to a breed, don't start breeding until you have experience with and knowledge about the breed. If you haven't spent a good number of years active in some area of the competition that tests the breed you're interested in, I think it's irresponsible to breed. There's already too many pure breds in the pound. My wife has competed with German Shepherds for years in a sport called Schutzhund, and she has breeders trying to give her dogs for free all the time. She won't take them because the breeders don't understand what they're trying to produce, have never competed themselves or followed the competition closely, don't stay within the breed standard because they want to breed big scary looking dogs, don't know about genetics, etc.

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #3  
Kyle
My Aunt and Uncle raise Labradors for a living. Their site has a small explanations of how they got into the business. Maybe it will help. Lubberline

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #4  
My wife breeds Ridgebacks. Are you willing to commit HUGE amounts of time showing the dogs in conformation, following up with your puppy buyers (AKC requires a breeder to know where their puppies\dogs are at all times -- as in the address of the new owners), doing appropriate testing on your dogs (OFA hips and elbows, thyroid, CERF, etc), researching the pedigrees of your "foundation stock", not to mention the time, attention, MONEY and other resources necessary to care for these animals? It's not something you can dabble in.

Here's a link to my post of one of my dog show experiences:

Bert at the show

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #5  
As an active golden rescue, we've seen more than our share of breeders. Most are in it for the money, and could care less about the dogs. The best breeders fall into two categories. (1) Those that devote their lives to the breed and all forms of competitive events. This type of breeder generally loses money for the first 10-20 years until the make a name for their kennel, making a profit only when their name is recognized for excellence. (2) Those who do it for profit, and cut expenses to the point of abuse.

Not making a judgement here, but if you're serious about doing it right be prepared to go years without making a profit.

Pete
Ragtag Golden Retriever Rescue
Stowe, Vermont

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was thinking about starting a small breeding operation. NOT A PUPPY FACTORY. I would like to contribute to a breed. Not looking for profit, but I would like to break even if possible. )</font>

Setting up a proper breeding operation is a long and arduous process. To do a good job, and not be yet another back-yard breeder, you need to study a lot, invest a lot of money, and SHOW dogs. If you don't show, you will not break even. People only pay high money to people who show and have champions etc. This showing process proves you know what you're doing.

Alternatives to breeding which don't require the same level of investment, but contribute to the breed are: fostering dogs for the local breed rescue organization (if you need a contact let me know) or raising puppies for the dogs for the blind or leader dog or other occupational therapy dog programs.

I admit that personally, I think there are too many pure-bred Goldens killed every year to even consider setting up another breeding program. There are more Goldens than homes for them already. But that's my personal opinion.

Cliff

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #7  
Kyle, I'm also so very sorry about the recent loss of your pet. I've had to put two labs down a few years ago and it still tears me up to talk about them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Check out www.caninearmada.com --- this site is owned by Matt Hall, a TBN member # 13144. He and his wife breed Golden Retrievers. Their site is a joy to visit and you can certainly use their 'contact us' form for questions. Some of the photos are so sweet with little pups running around, etc. Please take care! Stanley

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There's already too many pure breds in the pound. )</font>

Which begs my question, what do good, reputable, responsible dog breeders do with the puppies that don't meet the "standards"? I'm sure not every puppy in the litter meets the AKC's rigid standards.

We were all set to purhase a Yorkie from a "reputable" breeder here in Memphis who has ton's of trophys and awards all over his house from AKC competition, and years in the business. He was going to sell us the runt of the litter, which we picked out and wanted. He required with the sell that we spay the dog. That was our intention anyway, but I didn't like be told what I had to do with my dog after I purchased it. The most rediculous thing was, he still wanted to charge for the puppy as if it's pedigree was really an issue since he was requiring it to be sterilized, even though it was a "cull".
95% of the people who are looking for a good pet don't give a tinkers dam about pedigree, confirmation, or whether the dog will hold still while they blow dry it and tie little bows on it's ears. They just want a good natured, healthy animal. In my opinion, it's egotistical to presume that a potential breeder would be irresponsible simply because he isn't showing his dogs in competitions. One has nothing to do with the other. I do agree that a knowledge of genetics and blood lines is important so as to prevent the introduction of recessive characteristics, congenital abnormalities, etc., but I fail to see how showing animals in competitions for years is a pre-requisite to achieving these goals.

We ended up buying our GREAT little yorkie from two neighbors who bred their dogs. And YES they are AKC registered, if that really matters. And yes, the first thing we did with him was have him nutered, but that was OUR choice.

I think you should consider your market. I think you can do this without being a "puppy mill", which I also abhor. You can sell a good, healthy, pure bred dog to people who want a good pure bred dog. Or, once again in my opinion, you can sell a fool a dog for a rediculous amount of money so he can prance it around a little ring and pin blue ribbons on it. I"m a dog lover and If chose to breed them I would. But with love and responsibility. That does not have to be to what the AKC's clouded, snobbish view of "responsible breeder" obviously means.

Ken

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #9  
MarkLeininger
After looking for literally months, I actually imported my German Shepherd Dog from Hungry because I could not find a single American bred German Shepherd Dog that had a 16 generation pedegree that I required that was satisfactory. My GSD is of the Schutshund, working class, of GSD's.

Some may exist, but in looking at literally dozens and dozens of "breeders" for GSD's, they all fell into the class of puppy mills. With other breeds of dogs, hopefully someone will have better luck. I feel that in any of the "giant" breeds of dogs, a minimum of 16 documented generations is necessary to reasonably limit the chances of problems such as hip dysplasia. Good luck and do your research on whatever dog you purchase.

/ Any dog breeders amongst us? #10  
When the wife and I checked out breeding rotties we talked with a breeder. So after talking about it, we do not have the time and $$$. It is not a get rich quick and it takes a few years to make a return. The meds bills add up quick!