any downside to hst?

/ any downside to hst? #121  
If you find yourself in a ditch situation where a HST won't climb out.... put it in a lower gear and make sure it is at 2000+ RPM... the problem is the gear SELECTION, not the HST.

Just like with gears... if you try to climb out and the engine dies, put it in a lower gear.

Me, I prefer the HST for its extreme speed and position control for FEL work. Even for folks with some field work to do, I bet that they spend more hours with their CUT doing precision stuff with FEL or mowing or 3PH hitch attachments other than ground engaging equipment.

However, as has been fully covered numerous places in TBN... to each his own based on personal preferences.

/ any downside to hst? #122  
Sounds like it will be a decent machine.

Soundguy

/ any downside to hst? #123  
7-9-06 9:16 #39 pg4
Originally Posted by AutoUnionTypeC
Well I drive a manual shift VW, New Beetle TDi, it has air conditioning but I only run it to keep it charged. Don't know what else to say, except.....................Got 50 MPG?

7-9-06 9:21 #40 pg4
Dargo said:
I guess we are both happy; my pickup is a 445 hp diesel with over 1000 ft. lbs. of torque and weighs almost 8000 pounds. I can tow a 15,000 pound trailer over 100 mph. Don't pull out in front of me. :D

Sounds like a classic case of 'some days you're the bug and some days you're the...?truck?'

Seriously folks, I'm new here and am greatly appreciating the abundance of knowledge and experience everyone is willing to share.
I had some questions about the hst vs gear issue and found my answer right in this thread.
I am probably the on the small side of users here (1 acre including house). With several medium size projects and an erratic work schedule which makes renting difficult, I have decided to buy a small (20)hp tractor. The convenience of having it available any time I want will be indispensable vs. trying to rent a B21 for a day then getting called back to work only to annoy the neighbors by firing it up in the evening and using it until 11pm:p .
Information which has been most helpful in this decision has included:
1)Matching the type of work I'm likely to be doing most to the type of tranny (mostly FEL & light scraping/tilling/ripping/hole digging). The longest straight line run I can make is about 200 feet from corner to corner if I dodge the tree in the middle.
2)My knees aren't as good as they used to be:( .
3) I have ear plugs that filter out the high pitched whine of a HST (my lawn mower is a 20hp 42" Craftsman LT1000 w/hydro) :)
4) My wife will want to play with it too.:confused:
5) I'll most likely be dead before it needs any repair work.:eek:
So...it looks like the HST for me!!!:)
On a related note: I was looking at a 32hp FEL/BH with lots of 6' implements but by being patient the testosterone flash subsided, hehe.:eek:
And thanks to all the local dealers who over the past year have learned to leave me alone while I just sit on their tractors and go vroom vroom:cool: (what sound does a tractor make really anyway?)
Thanks again for all your help, -Kenny-

"A candle is not diminished by giving another candle light" unk

/ any downside to hst? #124  
I don't like to generalize because there are ALWAYS exceptions, but homeowner/gentleman farmer landscaper = hydro. Real farm = gear.

The only pure fact is that you need to try them yourself and see which you like better.

/ any downside to hst? #125  
GreenRules, good rule of thumb for hystat or gear. I had a JD 870 gear and went to a3520 hystat w/cab. Not really impressed by hystat yet.Thats what I told my neighbor"Hystats were made for gentlemen farmers" I do love the cab though.

/ any downside to hst? #126  
dirtworksequip said:
GreenRules, good rule of thumb for hystat or gear. I had a JD 870 gear and went to a3520 hystat w/cab. Not really impressed by hystat yet.Thats what I told my neighbor"Hystats were made for gentlemen farmers" I do love the cab though.

You don't know me and how I operate my hydro,150,000 board feet + in logs skidded 3/4 of a mile over the last three years,I have worn out the axle housing where the lower lift arms are attatched where I have skidded so many logs and graded so many roads . The only thing I have not busted on my tractor is the Yamnar 3 cylinder diesel engine and hydro,I have replaced 3 steering cylinders and ring and pinion gear and drive shaft because of the constant wear on the front end, in a matter of fact I found 2 whole front ends on ebay and bought them both for $500 apiece because they have so many parts if they were itemized would cost about $4000 through JD,the tie rod ends are a little over $200 apiece and I have worn out a bunch of these and welded them and repaired them, also replaced 2 differental locks.The hydro has not failed yet. I am on my 3rd cable for my Farmi winch from winching in so many logs.I have had to do a little welding on my front end loader because of the stress cracks. Me a gentlemen farmer , I do not think so, a stressed and abused John Deere 4400 yes...I forgot I had to split the tractor because I broke a shifting for on my range selector.I have way overused this tractor,but the Yamnar engine and the hydro has not let me down.

/ any downside to hst? #127  
Sorry if I offended you ridgerunner, but with all those repairs it sounds like you bought the wrong machine. If you had the right machine for the job you are doing you would not have to be abusing it as you have. I'd surely hate to see your poor tractor. What a shame.
If you have sold all that timber you can afford to buy a used siddder or small dozer and do the job right without abusing any machine.But to each his own and have fun!!!

/ any downside to hst? #128  
GreenRules said:
I don't like to generalize because there are ALWAYS exceptions, but homeowner/gentleman farmer landscaper = hydro. Real farm = gear.
And REAL heavy equipment users = hydro. Cat bulldozers have been using hydros for years now. JD tractors over 100 hp use hydros. Your analogy just doesn't fly anymore. Maybe 20 or 30 years ago but not now.

/ any downside to hst? #129  
Yes, heavy equipment with hystats are GREAT! I own Caterpillar 2004 D3GXL,2003 277 track skidsteer & 2004 308CCR excavator. Hystat is the ultimate on these machines. The D3G will do things a geared D3 can't. On the hystat machines you work the machine it doesn't work you.Ease of operation is unreal.
Hystats are great I did not say they were not. I was just agreeing with GreeneRule's general rule of thumb. IT DOES NOT FIT EVERYONE. So if it doesn't fit you don't get mad.