Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice?

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #1  

The-AJ88

Tractor
Kubota BX
I am in the process of talking to a few local excavation companies in regards to a project. It's a simple project (they all have said this), but each has their own method of completing the project. I've been wanting to get this project done for a while now, and life keeps on getting in the way so I will be hiring this one out to a professional.

The project is a 30' x 30' gravel parking pad. The area where it will be installed is currently grass and soil. The area slopes approximately 1.5' right to left over the 30' area and 1' front to back over the 30' area.

My question is: is there truly a "right" way to do this?

One guy said he would strip the soil down to clay, use #1 and #2 limestone as a base, then top dress with #57 limestone

One guy said he would strip the soil down to clay, use geo-textile fabric, use #1 and #2 as a base, then top dress with #57

One guy said he would NOT strip any soil, use asphalt chunks and grindings as a base, the top dress with #57 lime stone

They all claim that their way is the "best" way.

So, I am seeking an outsider's opinion which method seems the most logical to go about this project.

Thanks

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #2  
level pad? Are they sloping the low sides or how is the 1.5 foot slope accounted for? Any of them happen to mention anything about compaction rates? Haul away of spoils or spread on-site?
Material price is area dependent. I can place millings for 100/load double grind for 200, #2 is almost 1000/load, #57 is almost 1200/load

Without seeing the site - I would remove grass/organics and level, compact, millings (compacted), top dress with double grind and compact

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #3  
The second guy has the best option.

#1 an #2 stone is heavy course stone. I would expect the contractor to strip the sod and organics, proof roll, place the geotextile and place the heavy stone on top. No real need to roll/compact the 1s and 2s, but you could. When the #57 is placed on top, this should be well compacted not just for smoothing the surface but to interlock the smaller #57 stone and fines into the base layer. Once compacted and saturated (rain or a hose), the parking area will be solid.

We built a truck access road in Ohio last year with the same method through a low area adjacent to wetlands. Due to the pumping nature of the saturated clay subgrade, we placed a 18" thick layer of the 1s and 2s with 1ft of #57 with geotextile at the bottom and geogrid between the layers. The road handled flooding conditions and many thousands of truck loads without any maintenance. Not even a single rut or depression. Was so solid that the owners wanted to keep it for future access.

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #5  
You need to get the top layer of organic material off, otherwise it will turn into a mud pit when wet. That is basic and the 3rd guy has no idea.

The fabric will keep your rock above the clay.

#2 would get my money...

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #7  
When they cut my timber,,
the loggers built a road, 1/8 mile long.
They stripped the topsoil, and left a SLIGHT side to side grade.
Next the soil was covered with railroad ballast.
Then, after running in the RR ballast with a D6 CAT, the road was top-dressed with 57's

The ran 160 loaded 18-wheelers over the road during the wettest spring we have seen in over 40 years.
The trucks all had overload permits, they were not allowed on the interstate due to excess weight,
so, they must have been significantly over 80,000 pounds.
The road is still perfect, 7 years later.

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #8  
Definitely strip the organic matter this will decompose and cause the area to settle unevenly overtime. Geo-textile fabric is a good investment to save on material in the long run.

As far as material goes there is different name depending on area and to make sure we are talking about the same thing;

What is #1 lime stone and what is #2 lime stone ?

The most cost effective would be to used type 2 sand (screen pit run) to fill the low spot first that's the cheapest material and it provide good drainage and compaction, then 4 inch of 3'' minus and thin layer (1'' or so) of A gravel (1'' minus) on top.

Grinded asphalt mix with gravel do add compaction to gravel... but I am not sure if I would want that on my property, they uses it on roads shoulders all the time, its a good recycling method and it as benefit... but I would personally pass

and of course everything need to be watered and compacted properly.

Last edited:
   / Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #9  
Ohio DOT sizing is:
#1 stone is 3.5 - 2.5"
#2 stone is 2.5 - 1.5" stone

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #10  
I wouldn't want to used pure stone as a base, I want any material to go down to dust in order to provide compaction. Pure stone doesn't provide any compaction.