Any M7040 Issues

/ Any M7040 Issues
OK, think I get it, a 8 speed trans is actually a 4 speed and only the shift changes direction. No wonder folks like 6 (12) speed more then a 4

/ Any M7040 Issues #32  
8 spd is a 4 spd with High and low range

/ Any M7040 Issues #33  
The 8 speed has a wide enough range of speeds that it covers most applications needed today. The 12 speed is nicer if you might be spreading fertilizer or spraying at a specific speed not covered by the 8 speeds. I have not needed any more than my 8 speeds. That said, I would take a 12 speed if it was available but in reality would likely not use those extra speeds any more than occasionally.

/ Any M7040 Issues #34  
Not real sure I have it, but if you have to depress the clutch if its in gear to stop, then its close to the same as sync. So you can be rolling forward and shift to reverse without issue? I'm thinking there could be an issue. Maybe the plus is you can be rolling forward and shift to neutral without the clutch, but to change direction you need to ease out on the clutch

I believe my M7060 is the same tranny-wise as a M7040. When I am doing loader work (so usually in 1st or 2nd gear) I do not use the clutch when shifting from forward to reverse. The tranny is designed to work that way. Here's a snip from my owner's manual:

Capture.JPG

Note that it states that the tractor must be moving slowly when reversing directions without using the clutch. I guess the term "slowly" is open to interpretation; I never tried it at speed - and don't intend to!

/ Any M7040 Issues #35  
8 speed is 8 forward and 8 reverse.

I farm with 8 speed tractors, all the work whether, loader, drawbar, 3pt, PTO etc all gets done just fine.

Not so much how many gears you have, but what speeds each of the gears does at PTO RPM.

/ Any M7040 Issues #36  
My T4.75 12 speed has 3 ranges and 4 gears.

In range 3 the top speeds are 12, 16, 20, and 24 MPH.

2nd range is used the majority of the time.

I would assume that other manufacturers have similar set up's with their 12 speeds but I am not certain.

This is the first tractor I've used to change gears like a car when on the road.

/ Any M7040 Issues
OK thanks, think I have it

/ Any M7040 Issues #38  
My T4.75 12 speed has 3 ranges and 4 gears.

In range 3 the top speeds are 12, 16, 20, and 24 MPH.

2nd range is used the majority of the time.

I would assume that other manufacturers have similar set up's with their 12 speeds but I am not certain.

This is the first tractor I've used to change gears like a car when on the road.

24 MPH on the highway must be a white knuckle ride. Have you gone that fast and what did it feel like?

/ Any M7040 Issues #39  
24 MPH on the highway must be a white knuckle ride. Have you gone that fast and what did it feel like?
My MF runs 25 mph...drives and rides very nice

/ Any M7040 Issues #40  

No issues at all...
I guess the engineers calculate power to weight ratios coupled with wheel base etc...
That speed is with a 3 point 1500# 10 foot bush hog attached...
It makes transport to the other farm very quick...