Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #41  
Your life sounds good, I wish I would have done something similar....I'm now 46 divorced and my son is in last year of college.
I have my little piece of heaven but it is only 4 acres.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #42  
Moved from a large lake in 2006 to 21 acres in country. Four acres of grass rest trees very quiet and peaceful but only ten minutes to town. Peace and quiet lower taxes and can do what I want when I want. The house needed a lot of repair and that is still ongoing but we are getting there. All windows replaced, all but three doors left to do out of seven. Roof replaced kitchen redone, three bathrooms out of four redone, floors replaced, heating system replaced. New 30 by 40 Morton building built part of driveway repaved new road to morton building cut in and paved. Lots of work but have enjoyed every minute of it. I am 60 almost 61 wife is behind a little bit but we are having a ball. Just wonder what took us so long

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #43  
I think it is normal for most people to fear change. First mortgage, first child etc..

I think if you embrace it, everything will work out. Try not to think about what you lose in farm life, but about what you've gained.

We are on 27 acres smack dab in the middle of suburbia. It wasn't this way 20 years ago.

Our farm is at the rear of a 20 home, 1 street subdivision with no controls. We have a Publix grocery store and restaurants, ON OUR STREET! If they put a bank on the last parcel, we can do virtually everything via golf cart.

It still feels like we are way out in the country because we can't see our neighbors.

We nearly put the farm on the market last spring when the market started to rebound. Thoughts of a much larger, more rural property with new everything was sounding pretty enticing. We decided to stay and renovated what we have. We just finished (99%) of the exterior of the barn. We completely renovated our house as well.

So as I type this, and all my tractors are being rained on, :laughing: I won't dwell on the possibility that we considered the previous spring. I fully embrace where we are now and that makes life more fulfilling.

Get yer butt on the farm Scott, and don't look back!

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????
Wakey
I see you are in Atlanta and have Kioti 40 so we are on the same page. My place in Apex sounds a lot like what you have. Everyone in neighborhood has about 3 acres we do to. Nothing will be built in eyesight of my home in my lifetime because of sewer and fact they have to buy expensive houses to get the dirt. I can see the day in just a few years where we can take golf cart to some shopping. Apex just bought 25 acres to build park at the end of our road. House is bigger than what we need but not overcoming.
3 acres is much easier to maintain than 25. Also we plan on doing the RV life for winter months after kid goes to college. We have camped for years and are experienced RV people. Big question for me is do I want to return to 25 acres not maintained or 3 acres. Decisions made today effect life for years to come. I am to old to recover from a bad one.
Thanks for all thoughts.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #45  
ncr, You are 57 years young. BUT, if you think you are too old to make a mistake then you are.

I was 59 when I moved here from northern Scotland. I had never even seen an olive tree, and my original 77 are now 500. Same with almonds. An experimental half dozen has now become a project for between 5 and 600. Nor had I grown maize or sorghum, but that is where I have always obtained my fun - producing a new crop or animal. We only leave the property when we must. We like it that way. BUT (again) if you want to go camping for long periods at a time, then I suggest you stay where you are. If properly managing 25 acres it is doubtful you would have the time. You could if you just let it manage itself, but that is a bad thing to do.

Prior to your post #44 I was all for you moving, but I now have doubts - as it seems you do too. In that case I suggest you wait and you will eventually decide one way or the other for yourself.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #46  
NCR ,sounds like you are where you want to be ... so stay put ... when things change , then you can move ....

I was 30 KM out in no where, out of town ( almost 40 years ago ) .. today , it's less than 10 KM from me and the "bedroom" community is snapping up the older places and empty lots for "estate homes" .... I figure I've got another 10 years before I'll have to move and find some peace and quiet. ( but right now , I'm the nosiest or the neighbours , with all my toys )

strange , I was never a gambler when younger .. couldn't see the risks taken by the farmers ( bad weather, machines breaking down , crop failures , etc ) ... or the long , long hours ... sitting here now (out of the rat race), it shows it's slower life style and usually less stressful side.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #47  
Sounds like I live near you NCR. I grew up in Cary (there really are some people who did). Was dragged kicking and screaming out to the country (Eastern Chatham Co) by my wife who loves horses. We built a custom house that we plan to retire in, it's 15 years later and I'm the one who loves it out here the most. Peeing off the porch, taking care of the horses, watching the night sky with a bonfire, etc. etc: the whole experience. Took up a great hobby (flying) because found out a small airport was within 10 minutes of my place. I work in RTP but my 30 mile drive to work takes the same amount of time a drive half as long took from Cary. Wife has a business back in Cary so we drive a lot... but we don't mind, it's worth it to be in the country! But if you are in that situation, don't cheap out on your car.... buy something you won't mind spending 1-2 hours a day in.

For practicalities, you talked about healthcare. You just have to pick the right place. I'm not far off US 1, hop on that and can be at Western Wake in 20 minutes. I still have all my doctors, etc in Cary and and Apex. It's not the distance that counts, it's the time to get there and going 60 on country two-lanes beats stop and go, stoplight-every-block in-town traffic that causes trips to take just as long.

Only regret is the internet situation. I telecommute a few days a week and would do it more if I could do better than 5M DSL, which is very good for this area and took 9 years to get. In fairness it was 1999 when I moved out here and broadband wasn't widespread anywhere and if you could get cell service you were connected, baby! Within a few years broadband became key and it was a struggle getting it here, too long a story to recount here except it involved begging, cajoling, bribing, lobbying, etc etc. Surrounding areas still don't have it. Now if a house doesn't have wired broadband access, knock 20% (at least) off its value. It's a big issue around here.

I have seen people poo-poo connectivity issues, saying they are moving out to get away from it all, but a few years after moving out those same people are complaining the loudest about slow internet. Do NOT underestimate the contribution of decent internet to a rural quality of life. Amazon Prime keeps you from having to go shopping in town, online banking reduces in-town errands too, etc.

Other potential regret: have to be able to drive to live here. If you lose your ability to drive, you have to move back into the city, no ifs ands or buts. That may be a way down the road "when I'm elderly" consideration, but I had a relatively young co-worker who had a seizure of some type and as a result lost his license until he could show was "cured," which took a couple of years (doctors are required to report that to DMV). That would be devastating for a rural dweller and was sobering to see. Honestly if it happened to me I would probably keep driving without a license, because there really is no alternative.

Good luck, maybe we'll be future neighbors.

Country Geek
Thanks for your reply. My place in Apex is 1/8 mile from old US1 and new toll road 540. New place is 7 miles from Deep River exit on new US 1.
I bet you fly out of Sanford airport. Planes come in over my property to land and I see some nice ones.
Property has DSL not sure how fast it is but we have DSL here in Apex and it works for us. I am a big amazon user also.
I plan on posting some good pictures of Sanford property later this week for any who may be interested. Current tenants are moving out after 3 years and I am working on getting it ready to rent again.
On advise from people on TBN I am heavily leaning to renting Apex as a fall back option and moving to farm in the next 2 to 3 years.
Many thanks for all of those who have taken time to give me there thoughts.
Thanks
Scott

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #49  
Country Geek
Thanks for your reply. My place in Apex is 1/8 mile from old US1 and new toll road 540.

You weren't kidding, you are at ground zero for future suburban sprawl.

When wife and I were looking for our place we checked out that area and were considering making an offer on a house with small acreage until we found out it was due to lose half the backyard to 540. Scumbags hadn't disclosed it and when we called them on it they weaseled by saying that road won't be built for 10-20 years if ever...this was before funding had been figured out so there was a chance they might be right. Well you know that ended. But we ended up in a much better situation eventually.

New place is 7 miles from Deep River exit on new US 1.
I bet you fly out of Sanford airport.

Correct. There is some beautiful land in that Deep River area.

I bet I know ( associate ) with scumbag. Pleasant Plains Road ring a bell ?