Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????
Pictures for any who may be interested. Not big sky country but not bad for NC

Barn view 6.jpg
Back of property 1.jpg
Backyard 1.jpgOwners Building on Right.jpg

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #54  
Very nice place.

I know you are sort of on the fence, but I'd give up high speed internet and pizza delivery to live there. :laughing:

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #56  
yup, dats purdy.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #57  
GORGEOUS PLACE, NC_Redneck!!

On December 1st it will be 4 years since my other half and I moved to "the country". We bought a log home on a little less than 5 mostly wooded acres. You can't see the house from the road. From May to November you can't see the side neighbors either. Added bonus is the 4 car garage which I thought would be plenty of room.... until I started buying tractors and implements!! LOL! Now a pole barn is in the plans!! Another bonus is that I work from home so I get to enjoy the place all day, even when doing "work work" instead of "fun work". It will be hard to give this place up when I get too old to take care of it anymore.

It's pretty funny... one of the things that I've seen mentioned in a lot of the 55 replies to the OP's question is the fact that we can "pee off the porch", "pee with the dogs in the morning", etc.!! It's one of the things that I always mention to my buddies about living out here! I have a client in Dallas that lives in a place that's similarly secluded. This guy and his wife own a very successful company and are pretty wealthy. He sits on the board of a hospital and the local philharmonic. Shortly after I moved here he says to me "It's pretty nice just to be able to pee in the yard whenever you want to, isn't it?" LOL! Boys will be boys!!

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #58  
West Texas has suffered through an extended drought but the past 4 months has seen significant rainfall and we've greened up nicely. I miss the lush and vegetation of East Texas but not the upkeep of timbered land though it certainly has major perks. Our place sits in a secluded valley and views for miles on end. This aerial was taken in '09 (I think) when we were still pretty dry but it's greened up considerably and the neighbor put 250 acres back into cotton with irrigation so it's changed some. No place like home and told my wife, "spread my ashes here and I'll be just fine".

Doublejk Ranch.jpg

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #59  
I a currently 31 years old. Had an opportunity to switch jobs to something I enjoy 3 years ago and took it. In the process of relocating, spoke to the wife about houses and property. Finally agreed to raise our three young kids on a 78 acre piece of property about 20 minutes from most family and friends. Currently putting up a 32x60 barn, harvested first season of honey from the bees this year, large garden, apple orchard, chickens, pond, good hunting.... Pretty much everything I could ask for. As long as the career holds out for a bit and I can get it all paid for I can retire some day!! We'll see how that works out with three kids and lots of time between now and then, but for us the decision was that life is too short to wait until retirement. For now life is good and I owe it all to my wife. We are what today's generation would call old fashioned. We eat supper as a family, have chores, play outside, and are responsible for our actions. All home cooked meals on cast iron cookware, kids have assigned daily chores and are expected to help out. None of this would run smoothly if it were not for my wife. I agree that rural living is more work, but also more rewarding.

I enjoyed reading all your posts here about rural living and how things have a way of working out in one manner or another. Good luck and God bless.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #60  
This is a great thread. Lots of good stories here.

I only left the farm twice. The first time was at 19 when I did a hitch in the Navy. Then in my late 20's when I got married, I moved 20 minutes away to live in my wife's house in town. {Blountstown Fl, Small Town USA} 11 years ago we built on the family farm, and have loved it. Back then I lived across the street from work, but I drove 20 minutes to spend my days on the farm before going into work in the late afternoons. Now I just drive 20 minutes into work.

We don't farm anymore, just a small garden. We have leased out the hayfield for the last three years. Over half of the 200 acres are planted pines, with much of the rest old growth timber. If you want to travel, planted pines are a good way to not have to mow grass. You won't make a ton of money off them, but they do make your taxes lower. We have sold pinestraw for years on our slash pines before they were thinned, and we are selling it for the first time on our longleaf pines next month. It will be enough to pay the land taxes on all the land, if you don't count the house.

Speaking of house, you will want to plan ahead if you want to spend the rest of your life in it. We built a 2 story to save money, and have regretted it. A month can go by without either of us going upstairs for anything. I'm only 53 and do an hour of cardio everyday, but as you get older, it will be more of a pain climbing stairs. And go ahead and make your showers and bathrooms really big, just in case either you or your wife end up in a wheel chair. We added on to our house about five years ago, and made the addition handicap friendly. It is nice not having to worry about your butt knocking the shower door open when you bend over to pick up the soap. And if your wife likes to workout, make sure you have a room for a home gym.

Keeping the house in town sounds like a good idea until you are sure this move is for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Larro