Any suggestions

/ Any suggestions #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
About 10 thousand dollars plus to install the metal roof on the garage, there is no doubt in my mind that I can do the work myself but I am scared to get up there because of the 8.12 pitch.
I’ve tried, can get my foot off the ladder but even with the safety rope I can’t seem to get the nerve.
It’s about 19 ft to the peak and 12 ft walls.
I know it’s a 4 day job for my inexperienced hands.
The home will not be an issue, I’ve had plenty of experience climbing roofs and have replaced many of them but all asphalt shingle or wood shingle.
I’m determined to do it as cheap as possible ( I’m not cutting corners on materials) because we’re paying out of pocket for everything and have only so much set aside and the savings of doing it myself will pay for a trade that I won’t touch.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 3F878859-FA3D-4886-B693-D874A4BBDD21.jpeg
    3F878859-FA3D-4886-B693-D874A4BBDD21.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 178
   / Any suggestions #2  
If it were me, I'd take some 2x4's and either nail them horizontally to the roof to act as "safety stairs", or get the metal straps that roofers use to affix to the roof and then put the 2x4's on the metal strapping (sorry I forget the name of the strapping). A lumber yard would have them.

Place them every 3-4' apart, or wherever you're comfortable and go from there.

Are you planning on one metal sheet to cover the entire amount of fall, or will you be over lapping 2 sheets to make a run from the ridge to the eave? (1 piece of metal roofing for the entire fall will be almost impossible for one guy to manipulate, place and screw)

FWIW, once you get the first sheet (row) on, the rest will be easier if you have good rubber soled shoes. (along with safety harness of course). Just my 2¢

/ Any suggestions
If it were me, I'd take some 2x4's and either nail them horizontally to the roof to act as "safety stairs", or get the metal straps that roofers use to affix to the roof and then put the 2x4's on the metal strapping (sorry I forget the name of the strapping). A lumber yard would have them.

Place them every 3-4' apart, or wherever you're comfortable and go from there.

Are you planning on one metal sheet to cover the entire amount of fall, or will you be over lapping 2 sheets to make a run from the ridge to the eave? (1 piece of metal roofing for the entire fall will be almost impossible for one guy to manipulate, place and screw)

FWIW, once you get the first sheet (row) on, the rest will be easier if you have good rubber soled shoes. (along with safety harness of course). Just my 2¢
One metal sheet, I have ideas for that, if you can think of the name I’d appreciate it, can’t imagine at this point what you would be referring to.
Thanks

Ok roof jacks
I thought about them, thanks again

/ Any suggestions #4  
Are you going to lay the metal directly on the deck or will you put wooden strapping horizontally everrt 16 to 24 inches? That is how we do it where i live.
that gives you a "roof ladder " to climb up as you srew the metal down.

/ Any suggestions #5  
They are brackets that you screw down to the roof that are specially formulated to hold a 2x4 or 2x6 as a small platform to stabilize your stance on high pitched roofs. Roofing guys use them all the time.
For an 8-12 pitch, I'd definitely want a few sets.

Depending on your local, you might be able to rent them if you have a good rental store nearby.

/ Any suggestions #6  
The neighbor had a guy come and roof a old BIG barn with long sheets of metal. He used a towed one arm bandit (cherry picker) to get way up there. He even was up there on days windier than I would do it.

/ Any suggestions #8  
Is it 10K materials & labor? If you can afford it, but trying to save some money (like $2K?) I'd just have it installed. I assume you shopped around. A professional installation to save a few K isn't worth it in my opinion.
I just paid 3x that for the house metal roof,
same pitch. It turned out great & if I fell & injured I'd gladly have paid the difference.
My Dad fell 8ft when he was 65 injured his back and never the same. The workers here all had on a body harness and ropes.

/ Any suggestions #10  
newburry you had the same idea as me. I use scaffolding to
paint the ends of the house and use a ladder to get up on it.
I only have this one it sure beats moving a ladder around:
1699236682560.png

willy