Any tricks to find an underground water leak?

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #11  
If you have the flexible PVC that comes in a coil (I'm not sure what the common length is now days), figure out where the connections are to the next coil and dig there and where every other connection is. If it was put in right it should be laid and covered in sand to avoid any sharp stones/rocks affecting it. I had the same problem twice and both times the leak never came to the surface and both times the leak was at a connection. Good luck because it's a PITA to locate some times.

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #12  
We Look for the easy stuff 1 st. Then,dig up about every 50' -100' cut and air test.

A better way to do this is to cut the line in half, test both halves. One will "pressure down" one won't. Cut the offending one in half again and retest both halves. Repeat as necessary.

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #13  
I have county water at my place that runs about 800' feet of 1" PVC from the main to my house. Somewhere along the way I have developed a leak. My water bill makes that obvious. We have had rain off and on for the last few weeks so it has been impossible to find any wet areas that stand out along the run. Anyone have any tricks for locating bad spots before I start digging up the whole yard?

Thanks,
MarkV

In your bill, did the gallons used go up by the meter in the house? Or did the bill in general go up by higher charges from the city? Is the meter next to the street or some other location?

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #14  
Another way to find it which is less work than pressure testing is to use a probe. Probe about every 2'. The probe will go into the ground much easier in the proximity of the leak.

You can probably probe the entire length in less than half an hour.

Attachments

• Probe.jpg
    Probe.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 120
   / Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #15  
Something else to consider. County water may reimburse you for the water lost to a leak. Call them to find out if they will, and what documentation they require.

Keith

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #16  
I'm sorry, Im a bit confused. You say you want to find the water leak in a pipe from county in your yard to your house? where is the meter? If meter is at and or in house then why would the leak be outside? you wouldnt have high water bills is this is the case.
The first place to look for high water bills is to go to all of your toilets. sometimes you just cant hear it running if you have a bad flapper or float is too high or bad fill valve that wont shut off.

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #17  
If you have the flexible PVC that comes in a coil (I'm not sure what the common length is now days), figure out where the connections are to the next coil and dig there and where every other connection is. If it was put in right it should be laid and covered in sand to avoid any sharp stones/rocks affecting it. I had the same problem twice and both times the leak never came to the surface and both times the leak was at a connection. Good luck because it's a PITA to locate some times.

Normally 60' or 10' coils.

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #18  
Another way to find it which is less work than pressure testing is to use a probe. Probe about every 2'. The probe will go into the ground much easier in the proximity of the leak.

You can probably probe the entire length in less than half an hour.

I've used a probe like the one in your attachment to locate water pipes, as well as to find the softest spot. And I've used a mechanics' stethoscope to hear a leak; just keep moving closer to the sound.

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak?
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to answer some of the questions asked. The meter is at the road and past the meter is my responsibility, no help from the water department. They did put the run in about 10 years ago for the previous owner. They ran white pvc in with glue joints the best I can tell. Not exactly sure where I could get a listening device in my area. Our usage is up by 3x the last two months and about 2x more than the summer peak usage when we do some garden watering. We have shut off the water at the house and the meter still says we are running water which should eliminate any elusive toilet issues or house issues. Not sure that probing or moister meters would help this time of year. We have had some rain at least once a week for the past two months and the ground is pretty saturated. The obvious places such as hydrants have been check without signs I can identify. We do pay a leak fee each month so some of it will be refunded when I can find the leak.

Right now I think my best approach is to start spitting line in section and installing a gate valve to isolate areas. Nothing like playing in the mud during the winter. The bad new is we have a good chance of rain every day for the next 7 days. The good news is I have a backhoe.

Any other ideas are welcome and thanks for the ones offered.

MarkV

/ Any tricks to find an underground water leak? #20  
If you have a backhoe -- I'd get to work replacing line. You will find the leak when you hit a soft spot or a hole in dirt where it collaspes. Glad you mentioned meter is at street so you are right -- the rest is your responsibility. I'd call 811 and tell them you are a DIY'er and want to replace your water line. uncoil a garden hose or paint a line where you think you intend to dig and replace line. Once you get the go ahead from all utilities in the area- you got the place marked out and can dig anytime. I wouldnt mess with installing gate valves. Just replace the WHOLE line. if one section is bad - no guarantee the rest will be ok.
If you rather not dig up the yard in mud - why not consider a trenchless method? It s basically using a pipe buster pulling in a new line through the old line. You only need to dig holes to sit in on each end of the pipe line. This would require a professional but much easier to deal with.