Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow?

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #31  
They still do a majority of there tillage with moldboard plow in the Netherlands.

Here they will usually no till the beans into winter wheat stubble, most of the land is laser graded and irrigated. In the fall they prep the soil with small irrigation ridges before planting the wheat , this allows the beans to be row irrigated the next summer.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #32  
There's a field adjacent to my property that's had wheat and beans double cropped every year for at least 8 years. Beans are planted between rows of the growing wheat in late spring or early summer. Wheat is harvested and most times the beans are maybe 6" tall. Beans grow fast after the wheat is off, and they are harvested in the late fall. Wheat is planted right back on top of that bean stubble, sometimes on the same day but usually within a week.
That double crop is not uncommon, but usually has a year of corn mixed in occasionally. I think the land contours discourage corn planting due to erosion problems on that particular filed, but it hasn't been plowed in many years.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #33  
Thanks for sharing. I am researching tractor horsepower requirements for mold board plows. I am expanding my food plots in some tough old pasture and the mold board (mould board?) plow, then disc then chain harrow you mention is exactly what I am planning. Looking at a Kubota MX 6000 - should be plenty even for my leather like perennial grasses.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #34  
I plow here every fall. ---If you want yield you gotta plow!

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #35  
I am researching tractor horsepower requirements for moldboard plows.

The original compact tractors in the USA are the Ford 9N tractors which went into production in 1939 with the then novel Three Point Hitch licensed from Harry Ferguson. All are 2-WD. All have only three forward gears, one reverse.

Ford 9Ns with liquid filled tires pulled two bottom (two plow)12" moldboard plows through almost everything in one part or another of our country.
Do you need to pull 3 or 4 bottoms? How many acres to you plan to moldboard plow?

Tractor weight and 4-WD are more important than tractor horsepower in ground engagement work.

In order to get 60-horsepower to the ground with an MX you need both liquid filled tires and wheel weights. This combination may create compaction issues. If you have boggy land in South Florida you may rut with filled tires and wheel weights.

Look at the Ford 9N specs:

Ford 9N
1939 - 1942 N Series
Utility tractor
Next model: Ford 2N
Manufacturer: Ford
Factory: Dearborn, Michigan, USA
Total built: 99,002
Original price (USD)
$585 (1939 )

Ford 9N Engines:
Ford 2.0L 4-cyl gasoline
Ford 2.0L 4-cyl distillate

Ford 9N Power:
Drawbar (claimed): 12.68 hp [9.5 kW]
Belt (claimed): 20.29 hp [15.1 kW]
Plows: 2 (14-inch)
Drawbar (tested): 16.31 hp [12.2 kW]
Belt (tested): 23.56 hp [17.6 kW]

Transmission: sliding gear
Gears: 3 forward and 1 reverse
Oil capacity: 20 qts [18.9 L]
Oil type:
Fuel: 10 gal [37.9 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift: 800 lbs [362 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: transmission
Rear RPM: 545 (1.125)

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 70 inches [177 cm]
Weight: 2140 to 3375 pounds (( Kubota MX = 3,700 pounds.))
Front tire: 4.00-19
Rear tire: 8.00-32
Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
Steering: manual
Brakes: differential mechanical shoe
Cab: Open operator station

Electrical:
Ground: positive
Charging system: generator
Charging amps: 16
Charging volts: 6

Battery:
Number: 1
Volts: 6
Amp-hours: 85

Page information:
Last update: September 21, 2016
Copyright: Copyright 2016 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #37  
Great advice. What size tractor would you recommend for me? I've read about soil compaction issues and wondered if I had gone overboard with 60 HP. My land can get pretty soupy in the summer. I have 4 acres of food plots on a 40 acre parcel with two small ponds. I plan to do some saw palmetto and stump removal, occasional pond maintenance digging, wood chipping with a PTO chipper, bucket work and the moldboard plow, disc and chain harrow for the food plots. A two blade plow will be fine. The only reason I got to a 60 HP answer is my friend runs a 50 hp Kubota and it overheated now and then removing saw palmetto with a fork attachment. Maybe we should have gone with an excavator attachment. What size tractor do you think I should go with? Any advice much appreciated!

The original compact tractors in the USA are the Ford 9N tractors which went into production in 1939 with the then novel Three Point Hitch licensed from Harry Ferguson. All are 2-WD. All have only three forward gears, one reverse.

Ford 9Ns pulled two bottom (two plow)12" moldboard plows through almost everything in one part or another of our country.
Do you need to pull 3 or 4 bottoms? How many acres to you plan to moldboard plow?

Tractor weight and 4-WD are more important than tractor horsepower in ground engagement work.

In order to get 60-horsepower to the ground with an MX you need both liquid filled tires and wheel weights. This combination may create compaction issues. If you have boggy land in South Florida you may rut with filled tires and wheel weights.

Look at the Ford 9N specs:

Ford 9N
1939 - 1942 N Series
Utility tractor
Next model: Ford 2N
Manufacturer: Ford
Factory: Dearborn, Michigan, USA
Total built: 99,002
Original price (USD)
$585 (1939 )

Ford 9N Engines:
Ford 2.0L 4-cyl gasoline
Ford 2.0L 4-cyl distillate

Ford 9N Power:
Drawbar (claimed): 12.68 hp [9.5 kW]
Belt (claimed): 20.29 hp [15.1 kW]
Plows: 2 (14-inch)
Drawbar (tested): 16.31 hp [12.2 kW]
Belt (tested): 23.56 hp [17.6 kW]

Transmission: sliding gear
Gears: 3 forward and 1 reverse
Oil capacity: 20 qts [18.9 L]
Oil type:
Fuel: 10 gal [37.9 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift: 800 lbs [362 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: transmission
Rear RPM: 545 (1.125)

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 70 inches [177 cm]
Weight: 2140 to 3375 pounds (( Kubota MX = 3,700 pounds.))
Front tire: 4.00-19
Rear tire: 8.00-32
Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
Steering: manual
Brakes: differential mechanical shoe
Cab: Open operator station

Electrical:
Ground: positive
Charging system: generator
Charging amps: 16
Charging volts: 6

Battery:
Number: 1
Volts: 6
Amp-hours: 85

Page information:
Last update: September 21, 2016
Copyright: Copyright 2016 TractorData LLC

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #38  
I have 4 acres of food plots on a 40 acre parcel with two small ponds. My land can get soupy in the summer. I've read about soil compaction issues. I plan to do saw palmetto and stump removal, occasional pond maintenance digging, wood chipping with a PTO chipper, bucket work and the moldboard plow, disc and chain harrow for the food plots. A two bottom plow will be fine. I wondered if I had gone overboard with 60 HP.

What WEIGHT tractor would you recommend for me?

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

For your tasks on forty acres a 3,700 pound bare weight, open station, 4-WD tractor with 45 horsepower to 50 horsepower, water filled rear tires and a heavy duty FEL bucket should be ample-ample. If you order a cab tractor (+$7,500) the 700 pound weight of the cab will substitute for loaded rear tires. Shopping by weight you can compare apples-to-apples across multiple tractor brands in addition to Kubota.

With an FEL and liquid filled rear tires a 3,700 pound tractor will have an operating weight of 5,800 pounds. With a 600 pound implement mounted, a field weight of 6,400 pounds. Big tractor tires spread this weight. ((Unless you have an extended rainless period, approach ponds on tractor with great circumspection.))

A Kubota MX will serve nicely. If the budget is ample, consider same weight Kubota 'Grand L' tractors such as L4760/L5060. Tractor nirvana.
Heavy-duty, round-back bucket is L2296.
VIDEO: Kubota Grand L Series VS. Kubota MX Series - YouTube

A Bucket Spade is ideal for removing Palmettos. I have excavated thousands. Good for utterly deceased tree stumps up to 3" diameter as well.

Many Florida food plots are created with only a Disc Harrow and a Cultipacker . PHOTOS #3-#4-#5. Those are the two implements I use for my small food plots totaling perhaps 2-1/2 acres. I also own a framed, "lift" Chain Harrow which I use for trail grooming but not food plots. Either will serve. Be sure to get your soil tested before planting. If your soil pH and nutrients are not correct you will get very low or "0" green germination. I plant fall/winter and spring/summer food plots, discing in the crop residue as green manure. Sandy north Florida soil improves each year.

LINKS (2): https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/328798-bucket-spade-today-fel-bucket.html?highlight=

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ing-three-point-hitch-mounted.html?highlight=

Attachments

• DSC00223.JPG
    DSC00223.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 103
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 101
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
   / Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #39  
HP is important for speed while plowing. But if you are considering a HST tractor that may be a moot point.

I plow with a 3-14 plow and a MX5100.

Medium range just doesnt have the power. Must stay in low which limits to ~3.5 MPH.

The 3-14 is a good match, traction wise, with loaded ag tires.

The jump to 60HP in the same frame tractor with HST "may" be of benefit if it allows plowing in medium range and getting 4-5 mph. But I have my doubts that 9hp is significant of a jump with HST to do that, and may still be limited to the 3.5mph of low range.

I plow 2 acres with my setup. You can figure on about 1-1.25 acres per hour with that setup.

Drop to a 30-40 hp machine and a 2-12 plow would help with compaction. But you'd be dropping to about 3/4 acres per hour

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #40  
HP is important for speed while plowing. But if you are considering a HST tractor that may be a moot point.

I plow with a 3-14 plow and a MX5100.

Medium range just doesnt have the power. Must stay in low which limits to ~3.5 MPH.

The 3-14 is a good match, traction wise, with loaded ag tires.

The jump to 60HP in the same frame tractor with HST "may" be of benefit if it allows plowing in medium range and getting 4-5 mph. But I have my doubts that 9hp is significant of a jump with HST to do that, and may still be limited to the 3.5mph of low range.

I plow 2 acres with my setup. You can figure on about 1-1.25 acres per hour with that setup.

Drop to a 30-40 hp machine and a 2-12 plow would help with compaction. But you'd be dropping to about 3/4 acres per hour

50HP = Plow 2 acres in a little less that two hours, (1-1.25ac/hr.)
30-40HP = Plow 2 acres in a little more than 2 hours (3/4ac./hr)?

So....for 2 acres, maybe the total time difference is 30-40 minutes?
I am retired, so I really don't see much difference.
For 100 acres it WOULD make a big difference.