Anyone built a cheap metal carport?

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I've got a small fiberglass camper that I'd like to keep covered. It is only 17 feet long, but it is 9 feet high with the air conditioner. So I notice that I can buy a metal carport kit from Home Depot or Lowes for sub $1000 including shipping to the store, but these all have 7 foot walls. I can on-line order one from other sources with higher sides, but now I'm into higher prices and shipping charges. Also, I plan to just place this on a graveled level spot, so I need to think about how to anchor it.

Anyone skinned that cat?

Last edited:
   / Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #2  
I've got a small fiberglass camper that I'd like to keep covered. It is only 17 feet long, but it is 9 feet high with the air conditioner. So I notice that I can buy a metal carport kit from Home Depot or Lowes for sub $1000 including shipping, but these all have 7 foot walls. I can on-line order one from other sources with higher sides, but now I'm into higher prices and shipping charges. Also, I plan to just place this on a graveled level spot, so I need to think about how to anchor it.

Anyone skinned that cat?
I built a "foundation" so to speak out of cinder blocks to blocks high and then put a "seal plate" of 2x 6 pressure treated on that then where the holes are on the bottom of the carport ran 3 or 4 foot spikes made out of rebar, with a T welded to the top, all the way through into the ground to anchor it, works great.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #3  
on level ground you can use a length of chain with a bolt on one end and piece of rebar on the other or weld up something . dig holes 3ft deep and bell bottomed where you plan to install. center the bottom rail over the holes and install the anchors . once its set like you want mix concrete and pour your holes . you will have plenty of room on each side if the bottom rail .

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #4  
You can buy "screw into the ground" anchors...

That's one of the ways the car port builders, use to hold them down.

SR

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #5  
I built a "foundation" so to speak out of cinder blocks two blocks high and then put a "seal plate" of 2x 6 pressure treated on that then where the holes are on the bottom of the carport ran 3 or 4 foot spikes made out of rebar, with a T welded to the top, all the way through into the ground to anchor it, works great.

Obviously the reason I set it up on cinder blocks was to gain the additional height to Pull my camper in.

And depending on what kind of ground you have if you are not able to put earth anchors in, you can fill the square tubes with concrete to weight it down also.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #6  
What I'd be looking at is the costs to raise it enough, concrete blocks, timbers, etc. and the time to do it vs. the costs of the larger/taller units.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport?
What I'd be looking at is the costs to raise it enough, concrete blocks, timbers, etc. and the time to do it vs. the costs of the larger/taller units.
Yep, agree. That's why I'm pickin' your brains. :D

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #8  
I’ve been considering this option vs a site built from lumber shed for firewood. I’d prefer it to be tall enough to dump my dump truck under and covered half way to the ground. I’m going to have to draw a more accurate plan and price parts but I’m leaning more towards the site built option.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #9  
I've got a small fiberglass camper that I'd like to keep covered. It is only 17 feet long, but it is 9 feet high with the air conditioner. So I notice that I can buy a metal carport kit from Home Depot or Lowes for sub $1000 including shipping to the store, but these all have 7 foot walls. I can on-line order one from other sources with higher sides, but now I'm into higher prices and shipping charges. Also, I plan to just place this on a graveled level spot, so I need to think about how to anchor it.

Anyone skinned that cat?

Are you sure the peak won't clear as it comes? My 12x20 has 7 foot walls but the peak is over 9 feet.

/ Anyone built a cheap metal carport? #10  
You could build the same frame using 2x4's and cover it with metal. Then you don't have to worry about making it taller.
I still would anchor it to the ground though. A friend had one of those shelter logic storage tents. His ground wasn't that solid so that even with the anchors he had to chase it down across the field every time the wind blew from the west.

90% of the time when the wind blows it comes from the west.