Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise?

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #21  
Not 100% for that reason, but partly?
I have an ideal firewood spot, a 16’x24’ concrete pad I poured years ago. I could split wood on it. Have a friend that will sell me as many rounds as I want.
Quick backround: I grew up in a house heated primarily with firewood wood and backed up with oil furnace. My dad and I would split 15 cords a year or more. Between firewood and hay bales, I developed a really strong shoulders and arms.
Well, now the bales are handled by tractor. I have lifted weights to supplement, but I’m bored with that. Rather be outside. My wife says jokingly “you live outside” (probably helps our marriage lol). Cant stand being cooped up inside.
Anyway, I was curious if anyone else chopped wood not just for firewood or profit, but for healthy exercise?
We are obviously cut from the same cloth!

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise?
   / Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #23  
Cutting firewood, and then splitting it all by hand, was my primary form of exercise most of my life. Especially after a frustrating day at work, it was a great way to work off stress. Grab a huge round and some big wedges and a sledge and have at it.

That all went by the wayside a couple years ago when I gave up and went to a pellet stove. Gave up because firewood, in the area where I live, is almost impossible to get. The last few years I drove 240 miles (one way) to the Burns, Oregon area and bought my firewood there. Now even that source has pretty much dried up. Drives me nuts - the wildfires kill miles of trees, yet no one is allowed to harvest the dead wood.

Miles upon miles of dead trees going to waste:
View attachment 710628

Getting ready for some exercise:
View attachment 710629

Check out those wedges:
View attachment 710630

Just one knotty round like this was enough to give a guy a pretty good workout!
View attachment 710631

(The photos of the rounds are of firewood I bought in Oregon.)

I can tell you will not be splitting that stuff with an axe or a maul! ;-)

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #25  
I enjoy the exercise. We heat primarily with wood. 'Have been for the past 30 years.

Delivered by log truck, I cut a fuel tank worth at a session.
Then split the rounds and stack for drying and storage. (Wood houses, the round stacks that look like mini silos ;-)

Not too much of any one thing at a time. Cutting, splitting, hauling ,stacking, repetitive work and motion will get me stiffened up.

Every time I start in, I tell the wife how much money we are saving in gym memberships ;-)

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #26  
Putting up/burning wood is something that you either love or you hate. I grew up with it, and have always enjoyed it.

I tried selling it once but with a chainsaw and maul it wasn't very efficient; then once I dropped it off people suddenly didn't have the money to pay me. Now, wood is my main source of heat plus I sometimes cut and split a couple of cords and give it away.
I also brought home my father's woodsplitter which makes it a bit easier. I generally split it into quarters and fill the woodshed; then use a light maul to split it to size as I bring it to the house in the tractor bucket.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #27  
I heat with wood, 6=7 cord/yr. and sell 6 cord 86 now and still cut, split, pile, etc. Exellent healt for my age, actually almost unbelievable. I figure it is the exercise from the 'wooding' that keeps me still able to do it. Very enjoyable work and it works every muscle group. Just did get back from a small load this morning. 4 hours total in two different cutting areas. 4 hours sling the saws is a bit much for me now so my usual is around 3 hours per session. Haul rouns all summer and then split/pile all winter weather permitting.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #28  
In my younger days use to get 2 truck loads of logs than cut split and stack,but now order little over 5 cords cut split and deliver still have to stack the wood,if the Mrs. didn't like the wood heat I would choose another source.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #30  
I’ve never paid for firewood, I’ve been lucky in that respect. 100% free, you know $800 worth of chainsaws, $750 for a log splitter, $20k for the tractor, $1500 for the fire place, you know free. ;)
Plus purchase price and taxes on the land, your time...