Anyone else do random acts of kindness?

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #41  
On my way home from the store last year, I passed an older couple struggling to clean up their yard. A storm had downed several trees and they were trying to move the debris to the rear of their property. It was only 2 miles from my place so I took the tractor over to help. 90 minutes work with the grapple had the slash in a pile for burning and the trunks neatly stacked next to the tree line. They offered to pay me but the grateful look in their eyes was payment enough.

Several years ago, my wife and I were finishing up a bicycle ride on a remote section of bike trail. As I was loading our bikes in my pickup, two women came down the trail walking their bikes. One girl had broken the pedals off her bike and had to walk it. We were in the middle of nowhere, miles from the nearest town. The two had miles to go to get where they were staying and it was getting late. I couldn't carry 4 people and 4 bikes in my truck so I took the pedals off my bike and replaced the broken ones using the bike tools I carry. The women offered to pay me but again, the look of gratitude they showed was priceless to me.

I'm sure I've done other acts like this in my 75 years, but these two stick in my memory the most for some reason.

The world would be a far better place if everyone demonstrated more kindness to others.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #42  
One I sure wish I could prevent...

I stand back from parking lot lanes/curbs to signal I do not wish to cross until traffic is clear. (Having worked in a factory and other experiences, leads me to NOT want to walk directly in front of a running, hot vehicle with a half attentive driver.) People, typically extra nice Christian ladies, will stop and make it their mission today to force me to 'accept' their 'courtesy' - honking and signaling, holding up others. I don't get it!

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #43  
One I sure wish I could prevent...

I stand back from parking lot lanes/curbs to signal I do not wish to cross until traffic is clear. (Having worked in a factory and other experiences, leads me to NOT want to walk directly in front of a running, hot vehicle with a half attentive driver.) People, typically extra nice Christian ladies, will stop and make it their mission today to force me to 'accept' their 'courtesy' - honking and signaling, holding up others. I don't get it!
A coworker did that for a woman who was NOT standing in a cross walk. In so doing, the rear half of the entire line of cars behind us had to wait through another red light. Granted she was good looking but...

Sometimes "courtesy" means knowing the rules/laws of the road and following them. Traffic will run smoother, and we all will get there sooner.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #44  
Some nice deeds.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #45  
I have been trying to teach my six year old grandson to always open doors for ladies. Told him he would always be smiled at if he did that simple act.
When Covid began, the local food distribution network that feeds abandoned mothers and the homeless switched from providing donated groceries, to sealed boxes prepared by restaurant supply firms under federal contract. Each year I had been taking them a trailerload or two of apples from my orchard. I guess that belongs in this thread. But some opinion too: I read that those boxes are very expensive, up to $100 per box, so this switch may have had a second objective alongside Covid quarantine - distribute some of your tax dollars to large corporations.

Anyhow, a story about opening doors: Several years ago I started into a thrift store run by Ukranian immigrants. I started to hold the door for a way good looking young woman. She politely challenged me to hold the door for me in a rather ceremonial way. I replied wow the customer service here is great! She said we honor old men because we lost so many in the wars that those we see are treasured. This turned into a conversation. I was about 65 at the time, didn't think I looked frail and elderly. Not sure I felt honored by this custom but the conversation definitely brightened my day.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #47  
   / Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #48  
I use to be involved with what one could call the homelessness problem. This had been solved in the late 90's in my area for all the local people in need. Then something else happened. And I don't think anyone knows yet, what to do about it. People just started moving here and making tents and living off these good natured community services, which I worked in. And then, they came here, in huge waves cause the services were so good, compared to other areas. This ethos of local goodwill, has been taken advantage by outside folks that just want their next fix of drugs, and trash everything around them. This has been formalized as a homeless problem. It is not a homeless issue. It is an addiction and/or mental health issue. And those on the street, don't want to be helped. They ARE living their best life with their addiction/or illness to the destruction of all around them, which they don't care about. They just get the goods, that so many people still want to provide. And they do take away, from the locals, that which most people think the given resources are going. So.... "The pay it Forward," concept to me, has a a whole new meaning and it has worked out badly.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #49  
I use to be involved with what one could call the homelessness problem. This had been solved in the late 90's in my area for all the local people in need. Then something else happened. And I don't think anyone knows yet, what to do about it. People just started moving here and making tents and living off these good natured community services, which I worked in. And then, they came here, in huge waves cause the services were so good, compared to other areas. This ethos of local goodwill, has been taken advantage by outside folks that just want their next fix of drugs, and trash everything around them. This has been formalized as a homeless problem. It is not a homeless issue. It is an addiction and/or mental health issue. And those on the street, don't want to be helped. They ARE living their best life with their addiction/or illness to the destruction of all around them, which they don't care about. They just get the goods, that so many people still want to provide. And they do take away, from the locals, that which most people think the given resources are going. So.... "The pay it Forward," concept to me, has a a whole new meaning and it has worked out badly.

If You Build It They Will Come.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #50  
I always keep a bag of dog treats in the truck so whenever I visit someone with an outside dog...they are always glad to see me coming...!