Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Finally, we have hummingbirds. The first we saw was a few days ago and this morning a second one showed up as well. They zoomed in and zoomed out towards some trees so that suggests to me they are nesting.

We likely have more birds but since we have four feeders scattered in the yard we never know who's where or how many.

EDIT--Update since this morning gives us at least 4 or 5 hummingbirds. Plus, there's bonus points of a male and female oriole outside the window plus at least two cardinals.
These viewings are just outside the kitchen window but there are lots of hiding places here so anything is possible.

Does anyone know if you see one HB how many we may actually have but don't see?

Last edited:
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #912  
I think the snows in California were hard on the West Coast population. Our feeders are way down from last year. It may have been the bird flu too.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #913  
^^^ something happened for sure. My birds are consuming at 50 to 60% the rate of last year. A quart every 2 to 3 days right now. Last year it was close to a quart a day at this time.

The difference might have something to do with neighbor's attention to their feeders as well. Don't know.

^^^ something happened for sure. My birds are consuming at 50 to 60% the rate of last year. A quart every 2 to 3 days right now. Last year it was close to a quart a day at this time.

The difference might have something to do with neighbor's attention to their feeders as well. Don't know.
Do your birds migrate?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #915  
Three days ago - two buzzed the feeder location. Put the feeder up - right away. Must be the initial explorers. I usually have 10 to 12 hummers.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #916  
Do your birds migrate?
There are two primary species we have out here. Annas which tend be resident year around and Rufous which are migratory.

There are a few other species, but those are the main two.

This is odd but we have seen more birds in the yard than birds at the feeder. I suppose they could be tapping flowers or eating insects and tree buds. Wouldn't the feeders would be more disable? Maybe they have nests to tend to and don't leave for long? Could this be why we have fewer birds at the feeders early in the season and more in mid summer?

Does anyone know the mix of bugs, buds and flowers or feeders that birds like? I know they eat a lot of insects but always wondered what the mix is and their preference.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #918  
This is odd but we have seen more birds in the yard than birds at the feeder. I suppose they could be tapping flowers or eating insects and tree buds. Wouldn't the feeders would be more disable? Maybe they have nests to tend to and don't leave for long? Could this be why we have fewer birds at the feeders early in the season and more in mid summer?

Does anyone know the mix of bugs, buds and flowers or feeders that birds like? I know they eat a lot of insects but always wondered what the mix is and their preference.
I assume you are speaking of Rubies? I believe they eat insects any time they are out. I read that the females don't like to waste there time at feeders since they must then compete with males. Once there brood hatches, then they start using them again and we see more birds at feeders when that happens mid summer. The folks saying "I seen a few scouts",, I'm interested to hear what that is?

I assume you are speaking of Rubies? I believe they eat insects any time they are out. I read that the females don't like to waste there time at feeders since they must then compete with males. Once there brood hatches, then they start using them again and we see more birds at feeders when that happens mid summer. The folks saying "I seen a few scouts",, I'm interested to hear what that is?
Yes, Ruby.

I have read both scouts and no scouts so it would be interesting to know. We have seen lone birds in advance of the crowds but maybe they're just fast flyers? On the fall migration south, after our birds have left, we'll get a lone straggler and then many others in a few days.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #920  
I don't know of any humming bird species that travel in flocks, or communicate with each other. People are just seeing normal activity.