Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property?

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #11  
We had that happen over our previous place. We went to the local airport's open house and it turned out to be a flight training area and they were practicing engine out situations.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #12  
I live about a mile from the local airport. Lots of motor shenanigans. Especially from the acrobatic flyers.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #13  
Takes me back to my flying training in a Cessna 172. We'd be on a cross country exercise, cruising at anywhere from three to seven thousand feet, and the instructor would pull the power back to idle (to simulate an engine failure) and have the student (me) look around for a suitable forced landing paddock. Blipping the throttle every thousand feet or so with carby heat on, to take care of any carby icing.

When it was assesed that the chosen paddock would be suitable (eg - no overhead power lines, drainage ditches, fences, etc) and that we were at a suitable distance and height to make it in OK, the exercise was over, so power back up and climb away to resume the cross-country.

Of course if the student and/or instructor forgot about the carby heat on the way down, it had the potential to turn into the real thing! :cool:

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #14  
Ive saw the same scenario happen in my area but it was like the plane was working a grid.
It was early fall before the weed harvest.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #15  
The local flight school(s) do it here often.

Personally, I find the aerial acrobatics pilots more worrying, as they would do a stall and then do an unpowered corkscrew spiral down toward the ground. They would then only power up about 700' above the valley floor, seconds before impact. I used to try hard not to have my heart race, but they would get me every time. During fire season, the thought that we might have a crash and burn a couple thousand feet away was NOT a comfortable thought.

Now we have been illegally buzzed by a couple of UAVs at dusk, but I haven't found the owner(s). Yet.

All the best,

Peter

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #16  
I have had a reoccurring scenario at my place. It's not a regular occurrence, but I have noticed it several times.

I'm walking outside on a nice quiet day, and I hear an airplane engine start up overhead. It's not skimming the tree tops, but it's fairly low and close. It must have flown to a higher altitude, shut off its engine, and then glided for considerable distance before powering up again over or near my property.

I'm not feeling paranoid, but I don't know why a plane would do that. I thought it could be related to some law enforcement work, but I don't know.

Any ideas?
As others have said, might just be someone practicing.

Next time you hear it, as others have said, just go to

and find your area. If the plane is squawking a code, it'll show up and should show you some info.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #17  
Most of the time during practice like this, they are squawking 1200 though. Live Flight Tracker does not track VFR or Flight Following. Only if a flight plan is submitted.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property?
The consensus seems to be that it's a flight school exercise, and that makes sense to me. I don't know where the closest airport is located, but I know of multiple in my general area.

I have never seen anyone doing aerial acrobatics. They are always flying straight and essentially level.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #19  
Faulty stealth switch.

/ Anyone else have stealth prop planes around their property? #20  
I can definitely see the aircraft, and it looks like a normal prop plane to me. There is no parachute.

I'm thinking it's a paparazzi trying to get a picture of me peeing outside. There's big money in that!
Want to get a picture of your package..lol

Sure it's not an ultralight? we have them around here constantly.