Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock?

/ Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock? #1  

MoPops

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225, John Deere X540
What’s the secret to adjusting the brakes, so the parking lock (or whatever it’s called) work? Wouldn’t stay on at all, tried some adjustments and now it will hold, but it’s really sensitive. Plus I’m pushing down pretty hard. Only have 220 hrs on it, I doubt It’s worn out. Lots of hills here. I need that parking brake, plus starting the engine again and again, can’t be that good for it.

/ Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock?
Well I’m guessing I’m the only one that’s having trouble with the brake lock.. LOL.

/ Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock? #3  
Not sure it will help you much but here are instructions from service manual. I have them in reverse order.

Attachments

• 2021-11-21-071307.jpg
    2021-11-21-071307.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 186
  • 2021-11-21-070840_3.jpg
    2021-11-21-070840_3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 162
  • 2021-11-21-070840_2.jpg
    2021-11-21-070840_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • 2021-11-21-070840.jpg
    2021-11-21-070840.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 169
   / Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock? #5  
On most tractors the brake pedal hold down is just a bar that has notches in it. Check the bar. If needed modify the notches to be a more positive contact to the pedal

I’ve tried to get a good look at it. There are three notches in the bar. They appear to be fine. The plate that drops into the notches looks ok. Mine started off popping off a time or two. It evolved into just not holding at all. I’d shut down and use the loader to hold the tractor as best as I could. I have it now where I can get it to lock the brake. It’s just very tricky.

/ Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock? #7  
Only trouble I’ve had is if I don’t push it down far enough when I set it it will not trip the safety sensor to keep the tractor running.

/ Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock? #8  
I quit using the brake lock on my first tractor. I've never used it on my second tractor - Kubota M6040. Just too darn easy to forget and drive off with the brake still on.

If I really need to stop the tractor - angle the grapple and pin it in the ground - lower the rear blade and apply pressure with the hydraulic top link.

If the tractor still wants to move - after all that - I probably shouldn't be right there in the first place.

For me it’s just the getting up and down to do gates, doors, and anything else. I was used to leaving the engine running for every time I hopped off the tractor for something. Now it seems like I’m starting it up all the time.

/ Anyone else have trouble with the brake lock? #10  
Hope you find a solution Jeff. Don't trust a park brake with your life. Lower attachments, park horizontal, never put yourself in a position to get ran over. Once you leave the seat the tractor is the enemy.