Anyone else make the same mistake I did?

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did? #1  

OWTM

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5400, Kubota BX23 S
Tractors MX-5400, Brush Hog (aka Rotary Cutter) Is a Land Pride 6 Footer. I broke my first shear pin after having the brush hog a year and a half (but with only about 35 hours on the brush hog) Pretty good run and it's kind of expected to break one every now and then. I looked in my garage and couldn't find any 1/2" x 3" Grade 2 bolts so went to the hardware store, no luck there, only grade 5 and grade 8, so then went to dealer and they were out. So then went to Tractor supply and bought a 5 pack of country line shear bolts and broke 3 while mowing a half hour lol.

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did? #2  
What are you hitting that you are breaking shear pins/bolts? What rpm are you running at?

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did? #3  
Tractor supply around here has grade 2 bolts in bulk bins. Buy them by the pound. I suspect the shear bolts you're getting are softer than grade 2

The big box home supply stores (HD, Lowes) generally stock grade 2 bolts in bins too. The higher grade bolts are the bagged variety.

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did? #4  
Now If they didn't break what would Tractor Supply be able to Supply you with! Grade 1.5 most likely lol

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did? #6  
Never broke one, both my Land Pride shredders have slip clutches.
My JD CX 15 slip clutches work very well. They also seem to last longer than the slip clutches on my Pottinger Discbine

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did? #8  
My JD CX 15 slip clutches work very well. They also seem to last longer than the slip clutches on my Pottinger Discbine
Why do I think the OP has a frozen slip clutch or has never slipped it or don't even know there is one? All LP shredders have slip clutches from the factory far as I know.

/ Anyone else make the same mistake I did?
Why do I think the OP has a frozen slip clutch or has never slipped it or don't even know there is one? All LP shredders have slip clutches from the factory far as I know.
I don't know why you think that either? Right from Land Prides Website "The RCF2060 & RCF2072 features a smooth top for easier cleaning and a floating top link for following ground undulations in grass, weeds, and light brush up to 2" in diameter. The RCF20 is ideal for rural acreage or farm grass maintenance. These cutters have a Category 1 3-Point hitch that are Quick Hitch adaptable. The standard ASAE Category 3 driveline is offered with either shear bolt or slip-clutch protection and the tailwheel is offered laminated or solid rubber."