Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter?

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #102  
Winter has truly come. Rained for 5 days straight, lost power twice.
Not here. Got into the low 70s both yesterday and today. Normally low to mid 40s would be a "warm" day for early Nov. 3-4 years ago we had snow by now that stayed on the ground 'til spring.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #103  
Our leaves are done a month early this year but very little fruit or berries for the birds so I’m not sure what is going to happen

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #104  
71 degrees for the last couple of days… we broke records in some places.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #105  
Winter storm warning for us. Blizzard conditions, 12"-16" of snow coming, preceded by ice first, naturally.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #106  
We have snow predicted here over the weekend of no significance so we'll be out working on trails.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #107  
Drove on the NYS Thruway today in the Finger Lakes region - could see that the DOT had applied brine to the road. Not sure why - sunny and in the 70’s……

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #108  
I think we got about 2 feet. Drifted in around the house pretty good. On the second start up, my trusty old (20 year old) MTD snow blower had it's pull start mechanism come apart in my hand.

Funny, I had just finished praising it, as I filled it with gas for the first time this season yesterday, and it started right up on the first pull.

Figures...

Now I have to find a replacement pull mechanism and replace it PDQ.

/ Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #109  
I think we got about 2 feet. Drifted in around the house pretty good. On the second start up, my trusty old (20 year old) MTD snow blower had it's pull start mechanism come apart in my hand.

Funny, I had just finished praising it, as I filled it with gas for the first time this season yesterday, and it started right up on the first pull.

Figures...

Now I have to find a replacement pull mechanism and replace it PDQ.
In a bad pinch I've run a socket with extension on flywheel bolt it's under the recoil, or if it's easy starting and have decent access the tried and true wrap a rope method works, I use a drill to crank the motor on lowest speed highest torque setting most likely it needs to rotate clockwise to start. Im pretty mindful and cautious to pull extension and socket out when it fires. And not recommending this if your not comfortable doing it.

Last edited:
   / Anyone else seeing signs of an early winter? #110  
This year the pine needle dropping is heavy.. Much more than years past that I can recall. And.. My grandfather would always say you can tell a cold winter is coming by the size of a squirrels tail..This year they are big.. The bushy tail squirrel gauge .