Anyone ever regretted buying a HST?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #131  
I see that, from all the hydrostat buyers... lol

SR

Please don't LOL, you may be old and disabled some day too. And besides the younger guys like the greater productivity, the precision of placement of the tractor, especially when doing fork work and the fact at the end of they day, they are not as tired and can better enjoy their wives. :)

It is all in what you like. We all like the hydro, and you don't. So what? Ain't no big deal. Life goes on. Laughing out loud or not. :)

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #132  
I see that, from all the hydrostat buyers... lol

SR

I'm not talking between their ears, now.... ;) I've talked to several folks whose hand don't work so well anymore, arms, shoulders, feet, fingers, etc.... I think there's a couple that don't have use of their legs.

That's one thing I find interesting about the Power Trac. I could swap the steering valve out and the directional valve out to a two-spool valve with a joystick and control both speed and direction with one hand while operating the FEL with the other. Add an electric diverter valve to the FEL joystick and I can control a 3rd function (or 4th,5th, 6th, etc) from that joystick. Wouldn't need any legs at all.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #134  
I used to buy cars with sticks because they were cool, cheap, I was young etc. Then eventually I learned automatics were way easier to drive in tight corners and resale is better. I can see tractors are following suit..

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #135  
I want a manual transmission in any old truck because they’re a lot less likely to tear up and cheaper to work on. In a new truck that someone else is paying for because I won’t buy a new truck anyway give me the automatic.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #136  
Maybe not disabled but definitely lazy.

RSKY
AT LEAST YOU got the joke!!

BTW, I'm old and partially disabled and I STILL don't need a whiner tranny! lol

SR

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #137  
This thread reminds me of an old folks home with the members repeating themselves and no one listening to anyone else*. BOTH ARE GOOD. Depends on your needs and likes.

*probably includes me :D

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #138  
I want a manual transmission in any old truck because theyæ±*e a lot less likely to tear up and cheaper to work on. In a new truck that someone else is paying for because I won稚 buy a new truck anyway give me the automatic.

You put a Chevy 700R4 with a good rebuild kit in it in just about anything under 400hp and it'll last 200,000 miles. :thumbsup: It's got a very low 1st gear and a 30% overdrive in 4th. Possibly the best non-electronic tranny Chevy ever built, once they got the weakness engineered out in the early models, hence, a beefed up rebuild kit to make sure it's tough.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #139  
You put a Chevy 700R4 with a good rebuild kit in it in just about anything under 400hp and it'll last 200,000 miles. :thumbsup: It's got a very low 1st gear and a 30% overdrive in 4th. Possibly the best non-electronic tranny Chevy ever built, once they got the weakness engineered out in the early models, hence, a beefed up rebuild kit to make sure it's tough.

Exactly. Way tougher and MUCH MUCH easier to work on than a manual transmission and a Clutch, BECAUSE they don't need no stinking working on!

My dad was dead set against automatic transmission till the day he died. He never owned one, and wouldn't. BUT auto transmissions (slush o matics) in "his day" were no where near anything like a 700R4. But his auto appreciation was ruined by messing with the ones his brother bought in the late 40's and early 50's. They were all junk in his mind, By the time I was an adult and had cars with auto's that worked fine and were long lasting, there was no convincing him.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying a HST? #140  
Hard to find a manual transmission in a new pickup truck sitting on the lot these days..... not even made by all mfgs.