anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42?

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #1  

AppleMan

Tractor
JD 2305, JD 850, 1951 Farmall
After hearing a lot about stand alone chippers and PTO chippers I think I'm now leaning toward the Wallenstein BX42. But it would be used with my JD 2305. I know different JD models have had success with this, but wanted to see if any 2305 owners had success with the BX42. It'd be for seasonal heavy use around pruning time (limbs anywhere from 1/2 inch-3 inches in diameter). If anyone has used it successfully with the 2305, is there any other attachment/part necessary for hookup, or is it pretty standard and it just goes right to the the 3Pt hitch/pto?

Thanks much for your input.

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #2  
WOW, I just read/replied to a post just like this one on a different forum. I too own a 2305 and I am also interested in the BX/BXM 42 simply to grind up larger branches and for the fact that I want a shredder for composting. Optimistically I would think that if the material were added in slowly it could handle the extra sized chipper/shredder. If I am not mistaken, the self powered versions of these only run about a 12-15 horse gas engine so I would think that 18 diesel ponies would do the trick. The extra weight of the machine might be the sticking point. Though the FEL can lift far more than its rated capacity, the 3pt hitch specs are just about right on. Still, I am with you, I would love to run the larger shredder on my machine.

SI2305

Grader Blade for snow, Box blade, 200CX loader, LX4, LandPride 60" RFM, middlebuster and always looking for more!

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #3  
Appleman,

I may have just answered our questions. The BXM 42 is 800 pounds. In my experience, the 3ph rating of about 640 pounds is just about exactly correct. Sadly, I don't see any way that we could lift the 800 pounds of the beast unless we were picking it up with our loader and then hooking it up on site--probably not so great an idea. Sorry man.

SI 2305

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #4  
The BX 42 weighs only 400 lbs. The BXM 42 is a different machine that weighs twice as much. I've seen videos of people running the BX 42 off their SCUT but I don't have first-hand experience since my tractor has the larger chassis. For what it's worth I've had the BX 42 for a year now and it's a great piece of equipment.

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #5  
Pinetree,

I will be the first to admit that I could be wrong. I spent a good portion of the day yesterday deciphering the various letter codes to the numerous Wallenstein wood chippers. The version I have my eye on is the pto powered machine that has a great big square hopper feed shredder on top along with an angled chipper below. I believe the BXM32 is oriented towards SCUTS. Is the version you are talking about one without a shredder? If so, it bodes well for those of us with smaller machines that still want to chip branches to pieces.

Incidentally, about 6 months ago I rented a self powered (diesel to boot!) 6" chipper to help clear some storm debris from my woods--a long term project that might well take the rest of my life given the damage done to those 3 acres. At any rate, I was amazed at how powerful the machine was at pulverizing long 6" diameter logs and later, how well it chopped up autumn olive left in my grassy field area. I Probably had 30 or more tall (10') autumn olive bushes chiped up. I did this on a summer morning when it was muggy, getting hot, the wood was soft and wet and the foliage was dripping with dew. This combination of mixed chopped wood, plenty of moisture, lots of green material that was ultimately well aerated (I was collecting the chips in a 4x8' trailer) made for a perfect composting material. Later that day I stuck my hand into the middle of the pile and nearly burned it!

The point i am trying to make (belatedly) is:

1: even a rental unit can give you much good use if you can not find one small enough to fit your tractor but big enough to fit your needs.

2: The 6" model sadly, left a LOT to be desired in terms of the total number of downed wood scrap I wanted to chip. I plan on returning this spring/summer with a 12" model to chip up pre-stacked logs. Pre-stacking is important as the rental units are on the clock. My first time around I thought that I could simply use my tractor to move the chipper to the wood and not vice-versa. Ha! Once you stop to start chipping, that is where you are likely to stay, especially if you want to keep your chips.

I've strayed from the original topic, but getting the largest size chipper possible is imperative though the rentals can be a handy backup.

Good luck,

SI2305

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #6  
Woodmaxx TM-86H

Sorry to keep beating this topic, but does anyone know or have any experience with the Woodmaxx TM-86H? Supposedly it is sized to SCUTs but accepts a comparatively huge 6" diameter branch. If so, this is the largest chipper by far that I have seen for SCUTs and they offer this at a competitive price to boot. I appreciate any input.

SI2305

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #7  
The only problem(s) you might encounter with the BX42 on a 2305 will be the 2305 wants someone in the seat when the PTO is activated. Another is make sure the the PTO shaft is cut properly and not to long. Several have had problems with the housing around the PTO shaft breaking when a force load is applied because the PTO shaft was to long.

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #8  
Gator6x4,

Correct me if I am wrong, but every PTO chipper is going to have the seat problem. At present, mine does not have that problem as the deadman switch is apparently stuck in the "on" position, so I can get off and run it with the PTO running. Not suggesting that this is a good idea and certainly not an idea to plan for but it is just the way it happened on my seat. Regarding the PTO shaft, I assumed that I would have to make some adjustment for a device so close to the tractor.

Thanks for the input.

SI2305

JD2305, 200cx, rear blade for snow (used it a lot this year!) box blade, Lx4, LandPride 60" RFM middlebuster and always looking for more!

Last edited:
   / anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #9  
Gator6x4,

Correct me if I am wrong, but every PTO chipper is going to have the seat problem. At present, mine does not have that problem as the deadman switch is apparently stuck in the "on" position, so I can get of and run it with the PTO running. Not suggesting that this is a good idea and certainly not an idea to plan for but it is just the way it happened on my seat. Regarding the PTO shaft, I assumed that I would have to make some adjustment for a device so close to the tractor.

Thanks for the input.

SI2305

JD2305, 200cx, rear blade for snow (used it a lot this year!) box blade, Lx4, LandPride 60" RFM middlebuster and always looking for more!

Most CUT's have a switch that can be manipulated to allow rear PTO work off seat. All 3 of my JD CUT's have had one under the seat- 4110, 4500, and my 4115. Just flip the seat forward, lift the switch located under it, and raise the cross bar up and over it that prevents the switch accidentally being pushed back down if the seat were to fall back into place for some reason.

/ anyone use a JD 2305 with a wallenstein bx42? #10  
The BXM is an 800 lb. chipper/shredder and the BX is a 400 lb. chipper. The chipper/shredder is nice if you want to shred the small stuff but I wanted something physically smaller so I went with the chipper and haven't regretted it. I used to rent a commercial unit once every year or two but at $200 per rental I got past $600 and realized I should just buy my own and use it whenever I wanted and for however long I wanted without having to rush through the job to get it returned in time. Some guys will argue against it but I'm one of the people who wants the equipment on hand and has the land and trees to justify it.

I wouldn't buy a tractor that doesn't allow me to run the rear PTO while the seat is empty, if there is such a thing. Maybe I'm missing something. My tractor just requires that it be in neutral with the parking brake on and PTO engaged before leaving the seat. I've noticed that the JD website says the 2320 will not run with an empty seat and the rear PTO engaged and I don't get that.