Anyone use a offset flail mower ?

/ Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #1  

Rmart30

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently Kubota L4600HST, two Massey 265's, Massey 230, Kubota M8540...... Had Long 510, Mahindra 3510.Ford 4000, Deere 4230.
Ive got a bush hog ditch bank mower for one of my larger tractors but I saw one of these offset flails and from the specs I could run it on my 45hp. It also swings back behind the tractor and that would be a big help because I could get it down narrow lanes where I cant go with the bush hog one.
Mainly would be used for keeping the sides of the roads cut. Ive got over 100 miles of roads and trails to maintain.

Anyone used one?

57" Standard Ditch Bank Flail Mower, FH-AGL145 | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:

/ Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #2  
I have used a side mounted flail. They are really handy for mowing in places the tractoe cant go.

When you get good you can drive up to a post, turn the wheels so the flail goes past the post then back the other way so you mow the front side too. All with out lifting the mower.

/ Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #3  
I use a Peruzzo Fox Cross 1600 ditch and bank flail mower. Similar specs to the one you link to but about 100 lb. lighter. I run it successfully behind my JD 870, which is about 29 HP, but it's all the weight it wants especially on our hilly fields.

It does a beautiful job on ditches and banks. I also use it in the field where the offset lets me avoid running over the grass before cutting.

Being able to swing it in and out is a big help when mowing where there are obstacles to work around, and you can bring it totally behind the tractor if needed.

/ Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #4  
Hello Rmart30,

How many lane miles of road ditch do you have to mow and how many miles of trails?

In addition to the Peruzzo orchard and vineyard flail shredder you should look at the Del Morino
T62 flail shredder from Tractor Tools Direct as an option.

Attachments

• T62-Hydraulic-Offset-Flail-Mower-size-diagram.jpg
    T62-Hydraulic-Offset-Flail-Mower-size-diagram.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 173
  • T62-Hydraulic-Offset-Flail-Mower-detail.jpg
    T62-Hydraulic-Offset-Flail-Mower-detail.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 168
  • T62-Hydraulic-Offset-Flail-Mower-on-tractor-2-100x75.jpg
    T62-Hydraulic-Offset-Flail-Mower-on-tractor-2-100x75.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 625
   / Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #6  
Ditch/bank mowers are ideal for mowing alongside roads.
I got a well used Berti 75” model at a city auction a couple years ago. It’s a commercial model that weighs a little over 2000 lbs. I run it behind my 60 PTO hp tractor, which is the minimum recommend for this mower.
I also mow brush and pastures with it. You would be surprised how nice of a job those big hammer knives do on grass and bushes just vaporize. It also nice not having to drive over stuff to mow it.
Image1562252870.196481.jpg

/ Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #7  
I have the Maschio Giraffetta 160SE Flail Mower. Iowa Farm Equipment was great to work with in choosing the unit I got. Mowers: 3-Point, Pull-Type, Skid Steer, Rotary, Flail & Zero Turn -- Iowa Farm Equipment They offer a good selection of brands and types.

For a swing arm mower like I have one critical dimension is the offset to the pivot point at the head. The pivot point must be outside of your rear tire or mowing ditch banks can become difficult as you would need to have the rear tire close for the mower to pivot down. mowers with the outboard gear box tend to have a better reach. I have no problem running my mower with the 26.5 PTO HP I have. I think it is rated for 35 min HP.

Good luck in making your choice.

/ Anyone use a offset flail mower ? #8  
I am also looking for an offset ditch mower. So far I have found: Farmer Helper from Betstco, one from Titan Attachments, one from Nova Tractor, one from Everything Attachment and one from Tractor Tools Direct. As well as the Del Morino and Perruzo which seem to be a lot more expensive. The Italian made ones are currently out of my budget and I do not expect to put a lot of hours on the mower. I have about 2,000 feet of road ditch that will need mowed perhaps three times a year.

The problem is there are very few reviews out there for any of these and the price points have a very wide swing. Hoping that someone has one of these and has used it enough to report on both the mower and the dealer.