Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener?

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Anyone have an electric mower blade sharpening machine and if so, how do you like it? What kind do you have and are they worth the price of $400 to over $1,000? How often do you sharpen blades? Would you buy one again?

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #2  
I like my Oregon/Burrking 760 mower blade sharpener with the ceramic belts, but for the $2500 price tag may not be for everybody. Used an Oregon 12" wheel blade grinder before that, but had issues with wheel glazing when sharpening JD blades.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener?
I like my Oregon/Burrking 760 mower blade sharpener with the ceramic belts, but for the $2500 price tag may not be for everybody. Used an Oregon 12" wheel blade grinder before that, but had issues with wheel glazing when sharpening JD blades.
Outside of the glazing issue, what did you think of the Oregon ?

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #5  
I just toss them every year and replace with new blades from ASC. Lots cheaper than sharpening them and the used ones make good steel for home made knives. We are on sandy loam and it eats up mower blades quickly. Easier to replace them and lots cheaper.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #6  
I have a special wheel on my grinder. Forget what it's called - it's pastel green. Sharpens the blades nicely.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #7  
Outside of the glazing issue, what did you think of the Oregon ?
I had the big 1-1/2 hp version and outside of the glazing did a fine quick job. The first few wheels were fine, but they changed suppliers, or materials or something and it was like the epoxy that they use to mold them preventing the necessary shearing to keep the abrasive sharp.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #8  
I had the big 1-1/2 hp version and outside of the glazing did a fine quick job. The first few wheels were fine, but they changed suppliers, or materials or something and it was like the epoxy that they use to mold them preventing the necessary shearing to keep the abrasive sharp.
For that much jack, I would have expected a single point diamond parallel dresser to come with it.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener? #9  
@5030 that was extra and you would have to clean the wheel about 3-6 times per blade when sharpening JD blades.

/ Anyone use an electric mower blade sharpener?
That is a dream grinder but too pricey for me. I'm looking at the Oregon 1/2 HP or even 1/3 HP model. Keeps me around $400. Any more is hard to justify but I do love the look of the lawn with a new Grasshopper blade. Best looking cut I've seen and not sure why. Maybe because they're so thick?

Option B is a hand held grinder or flap disc and new blades every other year. I would like to sharpen 5-6 times a summer and keep things balanced.

All I cut is grass. No sand, no rocks and I've outgrown accidentally mowing down errant shrubs. So just a dull edge with no nicks.

Last edited: