Are diesel conditioners needed for new

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #21  
Our family owns millions of dollars worth of equipment and diesel pickups.
Never put anything in the tank other than diesel. Zero fuel related issues here.

If we were in a cold part of the world, I would add anti gelling products.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #22  
Now if your shop foreman stated the above….I’d believe it 😬

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #23  
Anybody up north who's had to tarp a tractor and use a torpedo heater to ungel it once uses a winter additive. I run my tank down to 1/2 in October, then blend my own #1 and #2 50/50 by adding straight #1 to tank. Also add anti-gel/cetane booster starting in October. Nothing worse than a gelled up tractor in a winter storm.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #24  
Our family owns millions of dollars worth of equipment and diesel pickups.
Never put anything in the tank other than diesel. Zero fuel related issues here.

If we were in a cold part of the world, I would add anti gelling products.
I find it amazing that owning millions of dollars in diesel equipment that you have never had to deal with fuel issues. I know about a million LB7 owners who are very jealous. Seeing as they need injectors every 40-100k miles unless their fuel is very well cared for. With those it generally a lubricity issue and VCO injectors eroding the seats, after 25 yeas they have pretty much so solved the body cracking issues.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #25  
I treat my tanks with PS and an algaecide every winter as a precaution. Even though tractor and fuel caddy are stored indoors. Ounce of prevention and all that

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #26  
Are any diesel fuel conditioners needed or would be good to use on Subcompact tractors, about 21 hp. Mines new LS122 and mostly sits. It works a few hours a week? Tks
you might mention your location. different climates require different conditioners.
anti gel in cold, algeside in warm humid conditions, moisture build up, etc. hard to find one fuel conditioner that covers all needs.
i've been a fan of Howes, many truckers use it. use it mainly for moisture control & added lubricity in my climate. given my location, not too concerned about fuel gelling or algae. best regards,

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #27  
I've used Howes in my tractor with mechanical injected Kukje engine for anti gel properties after watching project farms test of products what worked. In my higher tech common rail engines I use HotShot Secret anti gel and cetane booster in the winter.

Last edited:
   / Are diesel conditioners needed for new #28  
I treat my fuel for lubricity in the warmer months and for cold temps switch to an anti gel additive. I use Power Service silver and white respectively.
If you are new to diesel, good fuel handling practices are more important than additives imho. Keep the tank full when possible, ALWAYS filter what goes into the machinery, store fuel under cover, and if in a cold climate ensure that your winter fuel is either treated / mixed at the pump, or treat it yourself.
Good post. I couldn't have described my practices any better.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #29  
I use Power service white bottle sept-april then switch to power service silver bottle May-Aug. with biobor JF biocide year round. 1.75ml per 5 gallon can my bottle will last me my whole life. The clear diesel from power service is not a biocide, just helps remove water and clean the system. I used a bottle of it but I don't think I will use it again.

I had a tractor gel up on me once but it was in dec and at the time I think I was waiting too long to switch to the white bottle and I probably still had summer fuel in it since I don't use the tractor a lot. I got lucky. I was able to start it back up and get it to the garage before it died completely so I didn't have to deal with the whole tarp and heater thing.

/ Are diesel conditioners needed for new #30  
I had a tractor gel up on me once but it was in dec and at the time I think I was waiting too long to switch to the white bottle and I probably still had summer fuel in it
I have several 5 gal containers and while I rotate them in the order I fill them I have no idea when I filled a specific container. For this reason I treat everything the same. I put the additives in the container before I go to fill them up. It's just easier if I treat it all like it was was summer blend.

Some people may balk at the idea of using antigel all year because of the cost or whatever, but it won't hurt anything so I just add the PS Silver and White in it all, and it is safe to use them together. I also add biocide to every container, the bottle I have will last me years since it only takes a tablespoon/5 gallons.

Some might think I'm a nutter, I don't care. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.