Buying Advice Are TYM tractors junk?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #81  
To be fair, not many options on the TYM. Most stuff you want is standard. Maybe a 3rd function and extra remotes (I think the 474 has only one set standard).
When I was tractor shopping, I was very surprised on just how much on the "big color" tractor was optional for more money.

I mean first of all, it was $20K more money up front. Then, Every. Single. Thing. had to be added for more money. I was only looking at cabbed tractors. "Big color" wanted more money for A/C in that cab, a radio, side mirrors, work lights front and rear (each was separate), (I forgot front and rear wipers AND washers were separate too), cruise control, and I think even the diff lock (can't remember for certain, it's been almost 7 years now). All that had to be added separate. Now it was $25K more.

All those things, plus 2 rear remotes, came STANDARD on my Branson.

Hey "Big Color" Tractor Inc.,

If you're going to charge $20K more for a comparable tractor, maybe you should start "throwing in" most of those things that just about everyone is going to want anyway?

Might help you keep more of your "market share" from slipping through your greedy fingers.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #82  
On my 'small color?' tractor, I was happily surprised that I got some things like work lights and Bluetooth speakers for no extra charge.

I started out thinking 'big orange' as they have the nearest dealer and good reputation. I just couldn't spend 50% more for less tractor. I probably would have paid a wee bit more just for convenience of nearby dealership. The difference was insulting.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #83  
I would be hesitant to say any brand of tractor is junk…. After all.”one man’s junk, is another’s treasure” paraphrased….
But when I was shopping recently, I looked at every brand I could AGAIN, except JD, because the local dealership acted like they didn’t want my money before, on 3 separate occasions
so I’ll never be back.
Tym dealer had a bunch of tractors on the lot, and even some sales on some models..
Found it interesting that 2 brand new tractors had hydraulic oil leaks under them on the lot.
1 appeared to be a front axle seal,
1 was something in the middle of the tractor.
Yes I could see the oil coming from the actual tractor parked there.
These are brand new, on the lot machines.
That was a bit disconcerting

I then asked how warranties worked, and would the dealer provide me with a loaner tractor, if I had to have my tractor in for an extended period of time for warranty work.
Answer was no..
Asked the service manager about if I could get a different 3rd function valve set up, rather than the one that came with the factory tractor
He said
“they only install what TYM sends them, and didn’t know anything about WRLong, and there is no difference between a third function and a diverter valve”
He also said they could not modify the loader joystick to fit my physical needs.
Overall the dealership felt like a box store that sells tractors and lawnmowers.
So are TYM tractors junk,?
I don’t know, but the dealer I visited, did not inspire enough confidence in me to buy one.
I wish they had, I could have possibly saved lots of cash
I spent the extra $$ and bought a different brand, that the dealer accommodated my needs,
and IF, and that’s a big IF, my tractor is ever down for an extended time, I know they will bring me a loaner if needed.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #84  
I would be hesitant to say any brand of tractor is junk…. After all.”one man’s junk, is another’s treasure” paraphrased….
But when I was shopping recently, I looked at every brand I could AGAIN, except JD, because the local dealership acted like they didn’t want my money before, on 3 separate occasions
so I’ll never be back.
Tym dealer had a bunch of tractors on the lot, and even some sales on some models..
Found it interesting that 2 brand new tractors had hydraulic oil leaks under them on the lot.
1 appeared to be a front axle seal,
1 was something in the middle of the tractor.
Yes I could see the oil coming from the actual tractor parked there.
These are brand new, on the lot machines.
That was a bit disconcerting

I then asked how warranties worked, and would the dealer provide me with a loaner tractor, if I had to have my tractor in for an extended period of time for warranty work.
Answer was no..
Asked the service manager about if I could get a different 3rd function valve set up, rather than the one that came with the factory tractor
He said
“they only install what TYM sends them, and didn’t know anything about WRLong, and there is no difference between a third function and a diverter valve”
He also said they could not modify the loader joystick to fit my physical needs.
Overall the dealership felt like a box store that sells tractors and lawnmowers.
So are TYM tractors junk,?
I don’t know, but the dealer I visited, did not inspire enough confidence in me to buy one.
I wish they had, I could have possibly saved lots of cash
I spent the extra $$ and bought a different brand, that the dealer accommodated my needs,
and IF, and that’s a big IF, my tractor is ever down for an extended time, I know they will bring me a loaner if needed.
I find it interesting that dealers don't take the time to repair new tractors they are trying to peddle. It sounds like the manufacturer doesn't care and the dealer doesn't care. Why do people think that they will start caring AFTER you buy it?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #85  
I looked at the Branson/TYM dealer a few weeks ago. He said they would install a WR long third function if I wanted a third function which was puzzling because I thought the TYM function was just an extra valve added inside the existing control block plus adding the hydraulic lines.

He had a used unit in stock where he had installed the WR long out front on the loader cross member in a way that I thought was very exposed to damage from brush. Then there was also a bolt just laying on the ROPS bracket on the model I might have been interested in.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #86  
I'm guessing the TYM is maybe $5,000 less than the retail price of the Kioti. That makes me wonder if there is $5,000 more markup in the Kioti because I would think their manufacturing costs would be similar?
What makes you think their manufacturing costs would be similar? In the manufacturing world, commodity parts and even materials for fabrication are priced by how much stress they can reliability resist. From wiring & connectors to alloy steel, more money buys more resistance to aging.
rScotty

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #87  
Another member has been shopping for a cab tractor. He was quoted $32-33K for a 48 hp TYM T474c (likely without any options) but quoted something like $42k for a 39.6hp Kioti cab with a third function and some options.

How much markup do dealers actually have?
Yeah, I can go sign on the dotted line right now for a TYM T474HC with a pallet fork and 3rd function, out the door for $34,33.40. I may add a second rear remote. Except for maybe a hydraulic top link, that is pretty much all I want in the base package. Attachments I want to add likely sooner than later will be a grapple and a flail mower.

I guess the Kioti salesman got offended when I told him I thought his price was too steep for the $6,500 difference between the 24.5 HP version and the 39.6 HP version. He has ceased communications with me. :) He did say he came to the tractor world from the automotive industry, so I am guessing an ex used car salesman.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #88  
What makes you think their manufacturing costs would be similar? In the manufacturing world, commodity parts and even materials for fabrication are priced by how much stress they can reliability resist. From wiring & connectors to alloy steel, more money buys more resistance to aging.
rScotty
The opposite question could be asked as well. How are their manufacturing costs different? Is one made any better than the other?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #89  
I looked at the Branson/TYM dealer a few weeks ago. He said they would install a WR long third function if I wanted a third function which was puzzling because I thought the TYM function was just an extra valve added inside the existing control block plus adding the hydraulic lines.

He had a used unit in stock where he had installed the WR long out front on the loader cross member in a way that I thought was very exposed to damage from brush. Then there was also a bolt just laying on the ROPS bracket on the model I might have been interested in.
My TYM dealer used the Long components because the kit was 100 cheaper than the OEM and that was what they were used to buying when they were Branson only. The labor was easier for them, both because the TYM needed less work and they knew the kit better. How much did that matter? Who knows?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #90  
The opposite question could be asked as well. How are their manufacturing costs different? Is one made any better than the other?
Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. :rolleyes: