Artemis launch

/ Artemis launch
Did you know that some of the SRB segments were made in the '80s for the shuttle program, and the main engines were all used on shuttles at one time or another.

/ Artemis launch #23  
0E1E88B6-6C63-43C9-BEC1-7C90CCA558CF.png

/ Artemis launch #25  
The photographers that were picking up their equipment were being told "no pictures of the launch tower".

/ Artemis launch
   / Artemis launch #27  
Gee, I didn't know there was a thread about this mission. Makes me proud to be an American, and we are still exploring.

/ Artemis launch #28  
I guess when 8.8 million pounds of thrust lift 5.5 million pounds of rocket, it gets pretty windy on the launch pad.
It is really going to be something when Starship is launched with ~ 16.7 million lbf of thrust

/ Artemis launch
It is really going to be something when Starship is launched with ~ 16.7 million lbf of thrust
They are already having problems at the launch pad for the Starship. When they did a test fire of 14 engines a week or so ago, there were clearly pieces of concrete being blown about. I think there was a statement issued about some damage to the pad, but they didn't elaborate. I can't imagine what will happen when all 33 engines on the booster are ignited.
At the Cape, they had preoblems with concrete erosion in the flame trenches during the shuttle lauunches, and they, not sure who, developed a special concrete formulation to stand up to the intense heat and pressures of the launches. It will erode instead of spalling off in bug chunks. I think SpaceX had the same problem with the initial Starship launches, and at least one of the Starships was damaged by flying debris from the launch pad.

Last edited:
   / Artemis launch
Pictures of damage to the mobile launcher from the Artemis launch.

Attachments

• Mobile Launcher Damage #1 (Medium).jpg
    Mobile Launcher Damage #1 (Medium).jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Mobile Launcher Damage #2 (Medium).jpg
    Mobile Launcher Damage #2 (Medium).jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Mobile Launcher Damage #3 (Medium).jpg
    Mobile Launcher Damage #3 (Medium).jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 57