As a customer what is acceptable to you?

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #21  
I can see both sides of this story. The manufacturer probably gave you build dates based on promise dates from their material suppliers. Then their suppliers could have gotten pushed back by their suppliers and so on. Also freight is a problem now. I work in the supply chain and see this on a daily basis. This is especially true if there are any imported components. I've seen imported (asian) items take 30+ weeks to arrive after they were manufactured and ready to ship, with no warning that there would be increased travel time. So, on their side they may be thinking that they are giving you the best information that they can, and they very well may be.

But, on your side it feels like lie after lie. It could be that too, I doubt it, but it could be. The manufacturer needs money to survive, to pay bills, to pay employees. They get that money by selling product. If they are selling product by intentionally misleading buyers that is terrible.

You just have to decide how to proceed. I bet they will work with you either way.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #22  
What bothers me is that they take my money before they process the order. I ordered something over 2 weeks ago, they took my money, their site tells me that it still "awaiting processing". Meanwhile, at this point, there is nothing I can do to get my money back if I don't get the item other than hope they reverse the charge if I end up never getting what I wanted.

As far as Amazon, I don't care about 2 day shipping. When I place orders if there is a free option that takes longer that is what I choose. If that option is not there it is usually an item that you can't get their free shipping on from what people I know have told me... free 2 day prime shipping does not apply to everything.

When I can, I prefer to buy things outside of Amazon, I know from client's that sell through Amazon that they get raped on their profit after they have paid the amazon fees.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #23  
Amazon prime delivering virtually anything to me in two days has spoiled me. I have ordered things less than $5 and things over 10k and bam they are on my porch in two days with no shipping charge. Covid has caused a lot of chaos in the supply chain and while things are out of peoples control in some cases I still find it unacceptable. For example I ordered a widget and paid in full up front for it. I was told I would have it in 12 weeks. It is now 16 weeks, I don't have my widget, the manufacturer says it is beyond their control, they don't know when I will get it, and they are doing the best they can. They literally have no clue if I will get my item next week or 30 years from now.

What are your thoughts on this? They are still selling this widget on their website with no mention on there that if you pay for and order one it might five months before you get it. Seems like a shady business practice to me. They want their orders to keep piling in because once they have your money they got you. At this point I don't know what to do. I wasn't happy about a 12 week wait but figured I could live with it. Now that they haven't lived up to that timeline I am angry and feel deceived. I can assure you that once I get my item no matter how good it is I will never do business with this company again.
Some materials or items are only made by a few companies and if that is what the seller is waiting on, then they are at the mercy of the supplier. EA is a perfect example. Current wait on their Famous grapples is at 14-16 weeks now but they are not hiding that fact. They are all over FB and other media telling people about the wait and they tell you when you order. They are trying as many ways as possible to improve it. They are expanding their operation and will double or triple their production rate once the materials become available. They are also finding ways to build them with different/better designs and materials.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #24  
I have ordered several hundred items from Amazon, purchasing everything from simple work gloves (by bulk) to a Samsung washer/dryer, and in all that time I payed lower prices than I would pay locally and average delivery time was 2.5 days.

I might add that Sears catalog sales during the 1950's to year 2005 was nothing more than an early Amazon.com. Had Sears been business smart and moved their Catalog fully online and promised 3-day deliveries with no charge, they would still be a thriving business today and not going bankrupt.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #25  
I refuse to pay up front for something with a long wait for delivery. I figure if I can wait 12 weeks it's something I can do without.

Companies NEED to be up front about long waits and even then should NEVER charge for something until it ships.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #26  
I refuse to pay up front for something with a long wait for delivery. I figure if I can wait 12 weeks it's something I can do without.

Companies NEED to be up front about long waits and even then should NEVER charge for something until it ships.
AMEN!!!
I did put $500 on my BSM to hold it, but when it seemed like they wanted the entire amount up front I told them that was a deal breaker. The only way I would even consider it was if they were paying me fair value interest on my money, comparable to what it would cost them to take out a loan.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #28  
Another thing that get me mad. You need a product in a hurry. The seller (not amazon) shows In Stock. You grudgingly pay for Next Day air shipment. Then they take a week to actually process and ship the order!

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #29  
I agree with those that hate to pay up front for a pricey item. I am all for a 10-25% deposit and balance due upon delivery transaction. EA is currently the only company that I would (and have) pay in full in advance and glad I did. I actually didn't have many uses for a grapple but since receiving it, I have used it more than expected, very happy with this purchase.

/ As a customer what is acceptable to you? #30  
There is one thing all of the previous posts have missed. When the country was shut down, a lot of small to medium sized businesses had (and are still having) a hard time making ends meet. Many have had their “credit rating” go in the toilet, and are on hold from their suppliers unless they pay all of the past due invoices, and yours, up front.

Many businesses are not in a financial position to do that, hence excessive delays. And a Myriad of excuses. No business is going to tell you they are on credit hold.

Just the way of the world.