At the straw ..!

/ At the straw ..! #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
Combining all done for now ..till the beans start . Heres afew pics of the straw .

/ At the straw ..!
No it would be a disaster not a nightmare ..lol

/ At the straw ..! #4  
I know I'm less than knowledgeable about harvesting and such, but I cannot figure out why you are combining straw in windrows. I thought wheat combines cut off the heads and left stubble. Do you cut and windrow your wheat before combining? Perhaps I know even less than I thought.:confused2::laughing:

/ At the straw ..!
Happens both ways ..depending on crop/ripeness/weather

/ At the straw ..! #6  
I was gonna ask about that as well?? We never cut our wheat and windrow it, then pick it up with the combine. I'm not sure why you do that?? Not condemning,, just asking for clarity. :)

Kinda like those Kansas guys that plow their fields in a square instead of back and forth??? ;)

/ At the straw ..! #7  
That bale hauling trailer is very cool!!!! I've never saw anything like that. Do you run the picker arm from the tractor?? :cool:

Thanks for the pictures. I really enjoy seeing how different areas handle their crops.

/ At the straw ..! #8  
those are some great pics,how meny bales of straw to ac are you getting.

/ At the straw ..! #9  
In some areas the growing season is not long enough for all the grain to be ripe at the same time for a harvest. The farmers use swathers [ or used to ] to cut and condition the grain. when it's dry in the swath the combine gets put to work. Most combines are set up so the straw can be scattered or laid out in rows. The straw in rows is in turn baled and used for bedding.

The swathers may have a much wider cutting width than a combine. This makes for bigger combines that are fully loaded most of the time and get less actual working hours on them.

Some swathers may lay down two swaths for better drying.:)

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US...ed_windrowers/self_propelled_windrowers.page?

/ At the straw ..!
With our short season often you cannot wait for crops to dry down naturally and even when grain is dry straw is often still not fit , Varying soil types and weather often mean fields do not ripen evenly all over . Some crops like canola and oats will shed seed when left to ripen naturally ( beaten out by wind/rain etc) getting it on the ground gives you time when you have big acres to cover . Straw is often worthless here so effective chopping is vital for incorporation and "Curing" of straw from laying in the swath makes combines more productive not having to process heavy unfit straw and makes straw chop far more effectiveley. Plenty do straight cut but still dessicate the crop with roundup to get even ripeness anyway and still have a 2 week wait. Swathers still generally in the 22ft-30ft area as any thing bigger is a nightmare to dry if submitted to wet weather whilst lay down .
This year straw is 3-4 bales/acre !