ATV dump trailer.

/ ATV dump trailer. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I had posted in the trailer forum asking about dump trailers for an ATV. Got some good recommendations. Posters asked that I post any review of a purchase in this forum.

I purchased a trailer from ABI.

Here is what I posted in the trailer forum.

So, I went with the ABI. My reasoning was:

1 - Wanted to be able to dump while driving (Think of spreading gravel).
2 - Offered a wireless remote dump option - Though it would be handy. That's the least attractive aspect - will explain more later.

Purchase was simple. Delivery was within about a week.

Noticed some minor damage when it was delivered. Thought about refusing delivery. Called ABI and they, strongly, recommended I accept delivery. Said they had great customer service and, unless there was major damage, accepting was best opiton.

I accepted delivery.

Paint damage was minor but the powder coating on one side was substandard. Had a lot of grains (sand?) in it.

Assembly was straightforward, manual was well done except for the photos (why can't they be more clear?) Construction seems somewhat light but, after all, it is a UTV trailer. Shipping weight was about 500 lbs. Towing capacity of my Polaris is 1,000 lbs. I guess the more robust the trailer is constructed, the less payload I could tow. Yes, I know it will pull more than 1K. I'm just speaking to specifications.

Wiring took me a while because I don't do it often and wanted to be careful to get it right the first time. Instructions were well done. Supplied quick connectors were substandard (didn't allow sufficient room for wire to positively make connection) so I used some I had that let the wire go past connector a little bit (ensures connection).

One wiring issue, NOT ABI's fault, I have a Polaris 800 Crew. The wiring harness was not long enough to reach the battery. I added wire so the fix was easy.

Wireless Remote - Thank goodness I went with this option. Knowing that the wiring harness was not long enough to reach the battery, guess what, the toggle switch wouldn't reach the dash board. With a wireless fob attached to the key, no need for the toggle switch. I folded the wiring up, taped off the connector and secured it on the Polaris frame. If I need it later, I'll figure out how/where to mount it.

As to their Customer Service, they offered to credit my credit card $100 for the damage. I told them I thought they should credit me 10% (about $200). They refused.

Knowing what I now know, I wish I had refused the first one and forced them to send another. That would have cost them a lot more than $100. Guess they know they have you over the barrel when you've accepted delivery.

I'll post more once I use it.

/ ATV dump trailer. #2  
Pictures please.

I have never seen one, so pictures and dimentions would help.